Author Topic: Hybrid for the Holidays  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Kegan

Hybrid for the Holidays
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
My brother's first glass bow we built together, a 65# Hill style, broke due to a flaw in the form near the fades. I've been owing him a bow and finally got around to finishing this one out (also used it to start a build along for my site). He seems to like it, shame I didn't get it done while the weather was better. It's the final style I'll be using for the Gray Wolf Hybrid, pulling 55#. It shoots his arrows faster than the 65# did, and he seems plenty accurate with it. I'm just glad he likes it, until these last few hybrids he only ever liked straight bows with a Hill style grip. Guess it passed the acid test then :)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Hybrid for the Holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »
Looks good. Like the handle style. I am not a big fan of the pistol grip.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:47 am »
You are nocking them out these days Kegan. Good luck on your venture. If you keep at it like you've been doing I'm possitive you will be successful.    8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:26:56 pm »
Thanks guys :)

Nugget, I'm the same way. It's nice to have a little locator, but I don't know how people deal with some of those grips out there :o

Pat, that really means alot, especially considering how much you've helped me over the years :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:26:49 am »

Very nice ! :o 8)  Cool "Bunny eyes"  ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Thanks Wayne :) I had it set to take off the red eyes, but it didn't work. Oh well, makes him look scarier :D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »
Just finished my good friend Art's Gray Wolf Hybrid. It's 35# and made with a single lamination in the limbs. It came out well but I'll stick with two lams from now on. Used less materials but required alot more work and care to avoid twist. I narrowed the throat and made it dead-center shot rather than 3/16" or so out like I normally would per Art's request. The oak lams in the riser are particularly dark and it looks real nice. He came back from school last night and we'll be shooting later today, hopefully I'll have some photos of this and my brother's new bow in action.

I tested it this morning to make sure it's alright, it was shooting really well, but I thought it seemed a little slower. Figured it was just the nature of a such a lightweight bow, until I weighed the arrow and found I'd been shooting at 15 gpp ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:35:47 pm »
 Kegan, those are SWEET!. I like that handle style also. Those bows look like they ought to be fast. Good luck on the new Venture, and your brother does look like an animal. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:50:08 pm »
  Good job!!!  hey  could you  go into  more  of  that  build?  I have been  looking at  that  kit, then I just copied it  I  haven't glued it  yet  I'm  real curious  thanks  JEFFW

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:59:06 pm »
Thanks Eddie :). Truth be told, playing with glass bows has made making selfbows more fun too. Guess it all comes around in some way ;)

Jeff- you mean a build along sorta thing? I did one here,  http://economicalarchery.webs.com/fiberglasslambow.htm. Built these from scratch, so if you have a kit you should have an easier time of it all.