Author Topic: Black palm  (Read 2117 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Black palm
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:30 am »
   Not long ago I recieved a gift from a friend...A cardboard tube that had been in his garage fer 25 years...He said there was a bow in it he picked up while huntin in South America...When I opened it up there were 5 bows in the tube, 2 of which were black palm and very old, one with original string...Wouldn't consider stringin em, but I recently obtained another bow from the same area, but much more recent make. Its pliable enough that I think I could possibly string and shoot it...However,I have no string.
   I have a question. The bow is flat on one side and round on the other. No distinct handle area. The bend in the bow favors the flat side...I assume string follow, but am not sure. Anyone know which is the belly and which is the back?
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Black palm
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:35 am »
 That's a tough one. How round is the round side? All Black Palm bows I've seen are flat on both sides and bend through the handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:48:25 am »
Favors the flat side - that the flat side would be the back?  I'd guess that to be the case, but...
I recall that Billy was gifted something similar at a show awhile back.  Maybe he'd have some advice?
How long is the bow?  Any arrows? 
It'd be fun to see pictures if possible.
1’—>1’

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:18:49 am »
pictures might give some better clues about the bow.   what a bout the string nocks? are they wrap ons or cut in? you might be able to tell by the angle of a cut if there is one ???
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »
Will take some pics tonight when I return home...It bends through the handle...I have no string fer it, but will make one...The nocks are simply tapered evenly on the tips...no grooves to indicate which way the string goes...yes there were 4 arrows, 3 of which had different points...bamboo or cane shafts, about 38 inches in length, feathers missing.

TheWildCat

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:20:40 am »
Took a couple of pics, but not sure how well they will look. the bow is 69" long, 1 1/8" wide at middle and 9/16" thick. In the pic full length with tips pointing down, the bottom side is pretty much flat, and th top is oval or rounded from the bottom leading edge. The tip pic is not clear, but pretty much shows the nock area shape. then there is one with a different profile sho you can see the bend in the bow, which I was assuming to be string follow. but not sure.

TheWildCat