Author Topic: Grunts and Bleets  (Read 3551 times)

Offline tgr

Grunts and Bleets
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »
I'm from southern NYS.  I think we are finally getting into the rut. Any particular feeling on grunts and doe bleets.  I've tried some and I never know whether or not to bother.  Am I scaring away any feeding doe or will the calls actually attact anything? ANy feedback is appreciated.
Tom R

Offline sailordad

Re: Grunts and Bleets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:48 pm »
well i aint much of a deer hunter(prefer chasing turkeys)
but i do go deer hunting too
i have always been told that when comes to deer calls
start soft and low,if there something close you dont want to scare them with a loud grunt right away
then wait and listen,and dont over call,if no response or nothing in sight,call little louder the next time.and once again
wait and listen
but you may want to wait for one of the real deer hunters for advise
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:51:43 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »
calling can be extremely effective, in certain cases.  in the early season, fawn distress call can really bring does in for close shots.  also, regular doe grunts can bring in young bucks in the early part of the season because the matriarchs are kicking the young bucks out of the herd.  young bucks get very lonely and will come in on a string at a "come here grunt".  during the rut, a series of short grunts or tending grunts will attract older bucks thinking another buck is on a hot doe.  a snort-wheeze will also bring in older bucks.  the best experience is gained while watching deer while you call to them.  this can give you some great feedback on calling.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
i use grunts snort wheeze and bang them horns together. i like to rattle.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:42:27 am »
During the rut the series of short tending grunts can be effective but also long, low grunts in an area of a donament buck. The low, long grunts are agression grunts and if the big guy is in ear shot he will be coming in to kick some butt.
  I have my grunt call with me from the first hunt of the season to the last. I have never spooked a deer with a grunt call and have calmed or called in deer with them.
   A few years ago during the early season I went out during the middle of the day and found a big pine to sit under. After a few minutes I began wailing on a fawn bleat call. After about 30 minutes I got frustrated and moved to get up. The big old floppy eared dowe that was standing right behind me(unbenounced to me)snorted and almost blew my cap off. I could feel her breath on the back of my neck.   If you use other than a calming grunt be ready for fast action because the responding deer comes on point and looking for trouble.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:09 pm »
The big old floppy eared dowe that was standing right behind me(unbenounced to me)snorted and almost blew my cap off. I could feel her breath on the back of my neck.   

Do you recommend using a dry tissue or a wet wipe to get the doe snot off yer neck?  I'm worried about the scents that wet wipes leave behind.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:29 pm »
Unscented baby wipes from WalMart.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:26:13 am »
I can't say for sure that I've ever grunted a buck in, but I've shot a few withing a couple minutes of hitting a grunt call. They may have came to it, or they may have just been already headed by anyway. I don't think they spook deer unless you grunt too much and too loud. I've never called deer in with a bleat, but I've called up coyotes more than once and called a big bobcat right up in my lap with a doe bleat last year.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:47:21 pm »
I bleated in a buck this mornin! He heard it and beelined across a field to me. I have had good luck with a primos doe bleat can during the rut. If the buck is alone and its that time of year, one flip will bring em in often times

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 02:16:57 pm »
Everything I see in the sporting goods stores are for whitetails....same go for mulies?  I have been listening for the last few years and I really can't tell the difference in the two species when it comes to vocalizations.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »
I now can say that I have definitely called in deer. I grunted up two deer with doe grunts last week. These were deer that I had already seen that were passing by out of range. One doe came toward me like it was tied on a string I was pulling, and a buck came in circling downwind stalking me like a cat stalking a mouse. He shouldn't have. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »
I was wondering if we were gonna hear any stories and see pics from your adventures last week Steve.