Author Topic: Black Walnut Staves  (Read 2972 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Black Walnut Staves
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:41 am »
I've read of people doing all sap wood, all heartwood and a mixture of both for making black walnut bows.  The staves I have now- as is- would basically give me an all sap wood bow with some heartwood coming into the handle area.  I would like to do a very thin sap layer on the back with most of the limbs being heartwood, but can not see any discernible growth rings on the sap wood.  Should I just thin it where I want it and back with rawhide?  Do I need to have the sap wood at one growth ring?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:21:00 am by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sailordad

Re: Black Walnut Staves
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:18:56 am »
i would thin it and back it with raw hide if you cant find a discernible ring
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Also, I've read you can steam the sap wood into turning brown like the heartwood- anyone have experience with this?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline ohma

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:47 am »
Jeff i dont know if it would apply here but comstoc says to build a short test bow [doesnt have to be elaborate] out of the wood your using . you might try doing what you are talking about just to see if a back like that will work. may be some one with more experience with walnut will chime in. i thinned the white wood down on red cedar like your talking about and made my grandson a 58" 40# bow and it is still going after ALOT of shooting. let us know how it works out if you try it.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »
jeff iv made a few makes a very nice bow i hate the damn stuff messes me up the walnut dust is killer  what i did is made em wide in the limb blend ur heartwood sap wood about 50 /50 the saps stronger anyway thise brown black /white make pretty bows but wear a mask while workin it   brock