Author Topic: mushroom weather  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
mushroom weather
« on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:56 pm »
After a long dry spell we have had nice soaking rains for the last two days. On my afternoon walk with Lucy Brown just a bit ago I decided to look at our shiitaki logs to see if there was a positive effect from these rains. We have been dry for 2 months now and I was wondering if we would get a fall flush as usual. Well, we did!  Here are a few I picked and there are still a few more left on the logs until tomorrow so they can grow some more.
  We may have these for supper tonight!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

Re: mushroom weather
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:56:07 pm »
Hey Pat,

You sure those are Shitaki?  Look like the deadly rotovarianasianpolititianvirus mushroom to me!!   Ha!

Of course ignore me and enjoy!

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »
I hope them are good to eat Pat, I wouldn't know one mushroom from another ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:53:15 pm »
Rand and Paul, we raised these by inoculating fresh cut white oak logs so we know these are shiitaki. I don't collect wild mushrooms to eat.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:24:07 am »
NICE! I did some of those a few years ago, need to get back into it. I let them get to dry, but they kicked butt for two years or so. did you do the drill/plug thingl?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:54:21 am »
Yeah Postman. We didn't use the impregnated birch plugs. We just added the spore to the holes then sealed with wax.
  An odd thng happened a few years ago. We hadn't have much rain so everything was pretty dry for a few months. One night we had a thunder storm come through and lightning struck pretty near our house. The next day all the shiitaki logs were all full of mushrooms. It was a tree next where the logs are  that had gotten struck by the lightning. I guess the lightning stimulated the fungi to bloom.