Author Topic: preserving osage staves in water  (Read 1726 times)

Offline luke the drifter

preserving osage staves in water
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:34:21 am »
perhaps i am not typing the right phrase.  what about preserving osage staves in water?  how long in long enough?  i thought i had read about it somewhere in this community.  any thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: preserving osage staves in water
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:01 am »
When I cure bow wood I want to eliminate the moisture. I have read about water curing but I believe it replaces the sap with water which in turn dries out quicker. I would rather give the sap(resins and such) plenty of time to solidify as part of the wood cells. I think this would make for stronger, more resilliant bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »
I have wondered about this myself. I know they do this for wooden instruments likes violens and such but I think its more to enhance sound and not strength. I can almost guarantee it will make the wood more brittle. But it probably helps to even out inconsistencies too. Still, I want to experiment with it and see what it does. Im also curious between the difference in fresh and salt water. I know this is one of the trade secrets for makers of acoustic stringed instruments and there is little info on why they do it.
Its only wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »
One problem I have with salt water is if your wood absorbs the salt it will continue to attract moisture into the wood as salt has a tendancy to do even after the wood has cured out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »
Go look at the" Worth Salvaging" thread.  I don't know how it will work, I plan on getting it out of the woods this week.  Bill