Author Topic: A Brief Outing  (Read 3587 times)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
A Brief Outing
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:38 am »
I had a couple of hours to myself the other day and decided to venture into the river valley in search of supplies.  We had our first snowfall of the year the day before.  I love the woods in winter, and couldn't resist heading out.

Score!  A bundle of arrow material.  Something to work on when the weather gets REALLY cold.

Cold enough  today to put the hobo stove to use and make a cup of hot chocolate before heading home.

I plan to spend as much time in the river valley as I possibly can this winter, so I'll be sure to post more pictures of my outings.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:16:22 pm by NorthernArcher »
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Postman

Re: A Brief Outing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:23:41 am »
good stuff! Can't wait 'till the snow flies.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:23:00 am »
so, how northern are you?  those pics are awesome btw
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:24:55 am »
Thanks for sharing that walk.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:57 pm »
aero86 - I'm in Edmonton, Alberta - Canada.  We usually get our first snow some time in October.  It often melts within a week or so.  This past spring we got our last snowfall in late April.  It only lasted a couple days.  Mid October to mid April gives us about a six month winter.  Spring, Summer, and Fall are all crammed into the other six months.  Good thing I like winter, eh?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »
I sure wished I could find that red osier around my parts.  Great looking stuff there NorthernArcher

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »
I'll be sure to send you some.  I've been able to go out twice this week and I've collected 20 red osier shoots thus far.  I plan to go back out as often as possible to enjoy the river valley, and I always come back with materials - I just can't help looking whenever I'm out.  ;)

I'll peel the bark and do some hand straightening as they dry out a bit.  Then I'll have a better idea as to the quality of each shoot and I'll be able to put a bundle together for you.  Where abouts do you live?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:21:55 pm »
Great pictures, I enjoy seeing those first snowfall pictures and the pictures of the materials are very cool.  Haven't seen the white stuff in years.  I had my fill of grey winter, do you get a lot of sun being in Alberta during the winter months? It's gotta be interesting to hunt in the snow.  Thanks for the posts, and keep 'em coming!
1’—>1’

Offline Deo

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »
That's cool, Never had a white winter here in this part of california, It has only snowed twice at sea level that I can remeber or been told. To get snow we have to go about 4 to 5 hours east of here. Nice gathering of shoots.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:13 pm »
I live in Virginia NorthernArcher.  By the maps it does grow in a few locations, but I have not been able to get to those yet.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:17 pm »
yeah, you do live way up there!  here in texas, we have sssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, fallllllllll, winter, springgg...  so like 8 months of the year is summer!  lol.  starts getting hot around april, starts cooling off in sept.  then, usually october and nov are mild, december gets a bit chilly, then we get cold in jan and feb.  last year we actually got almost a foot of snow here in NE texas within a 2 week period.  that snow fall right there is about perfect though!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:33:14 am »
Thankis for Sharing!  My wife and I are contemplating moving back home to Maine and your pictures of a fresh blanket of snow in the forest is not helping me stay here in AZ...
Nate Danforth

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:21 pm »
Very nice photos and you managed to cut some shafts! Sounds like a great way to spend  a couple of arrows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jay

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:58:32 am »
I also love the first snow. Great pic of the trail. "down" here is southern Wisconsin it's been to flippin warm for October/ archery season. It will get here.

thanks for sharing
Jay