Author Topic: Sinew changing the tiller randomly after final tiller adjustment...  (Read 1220 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I've heard that sinew backing can change the tiller randomly months or even years after final tiller adjustment. Any tips on how to minimize this? I have gathered so much as,...

-Sinew needs to be cured very well. A month is fine but a year is better. I guess this could change the tiller as it gains weight, as it could gain strength unevenly, so I guess if this logic is true it would be better to cure fully before final tiller adjustment and finishing of the bow.

-Humidity/moisture.

-Sinew need to be extremely well shot in before it can be determined that it has plateaued.

Any tips on keeping an even tiller after sinew backing?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Sinew changing the tiller randomly after final tiller adjustment...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:42:46 pm »
 No cure fr this if you use hide glue. It will continue pulling the bow into a reflex as the sinew continues to dry and shrink over time. Humidity also plays a part in this.

I had to retiller a friends sinew backed osage bow after he had it for 5 years. It started out around 55# and increased to about 65# after 5 years. It was too much for him.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: Sinew changing the tiller randomly after final tiller adjustment...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 02:54:01 am »
I put sinew on my bows before even floor tillering the bow. If you tiller a bow then you sinew it you may put more on one side or one area so tiller will adjust.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY