Author Topic: maple bow ?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline bubby

maple bow ?
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
I'm getting ready to start a maple board bow, haven't worked with maple before and want some ideas for best design for it. I'm open to any suggestions, would like 45# to 55# @ 29"draw, thank's, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline NTProf

Re: maple bow ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
I have made several maple board bows. At least for me, the design that worked best was wide limbs (1 3/4 to 2 inches) to mid limb or a little past then taper to 3/8 in. nocks. I made mine 66-68" long. They performed great and tool very little set.

Offline Story Teller

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »
Bubby,

I have worked with Maple on two bows.  Based on that very limited experience, I have the following observation.  Maple takes a set, so broader, thinner limb designs are probably best.  I also observe that it is a favorite material for commercial wood-fiberglass laminated bows.  I've been pleased with maple as a bow wood, but both of mine took a set much more than other bows of similar design in different woods.

Regards,
Story Teller
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »
thank's NT Prof, storyteller, any idea how it handles heat. thank's for the help, Bub

Offline Klandaght

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »
The length of your board will help determine what options you have. What length is it and what length bow do you want?
A man learns more from his mistakes than from his successes!

His wife will always acknowledge his learnedness!

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »
Hey bubby,
      Made quite a few bows from hard maple. It's dense, hard ( but works real nice) and it is very snappy. Meaning it produces excellent speed. The weight you want wont be any trouble at all either. Recently I made 3 mollegabet types that were at 70# or more.....all of those were hard maple and backed with a thin 1/16" black walnut backer.
      Believe ya might want to try any of the designs with wider limbs and have slight tapers to the ends. But if you go too wide the limbs will have to be scary thin to get down to 50/55# so ya might want to stick with somewhere between 1-1/2" to about 2" width and I really believe that in the middle would be about ideal. JMO   It's good bow wood.
      About specific designs I've used it for stiff tiped prymids, american flat bows, and of course mollegabets.
rich

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:05:53 am »
Listen to Rich, and others on this site! They have helped me so much! You, HERE... have access to some amazing vets on bow making.
They can turn an extreme novice like me, into a future bowyer......

God Bless

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:13 am »
Thank's for the responses guys,
Klandaght, the stick's a little over 6"
Okie, Rich has been a ton of help on several bows, he's the man on molle's and short bows
Rich, thank's, now I just gotta decide between a molle or a shorty sinew baced bow, I loved that molle but might try and Ishi bow, Bub