Author Topic: wood utensil finish  (Read 3453 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

wood utensil finish
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »
Does anyone know of any wood eating utensil finishes? Would Vaseline work? thanks
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Stoker

Re: wood utensil finish
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:32 pm »
When I got my new cutting board it said to treat it with a light cooking oil to keep it moist.
Vaseline would be bad >:D PETROLEUM JELLY  not for internal use..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:55 pm »
 Use olive oil or vegetable oil. Or mineral oil if you want to be Regular. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:25:44 pm »
I have some eatin' utensils made from maple and birch that I use at rendezvous.  I have been rubbing them down with warmed beeswax for years.  Once they get a good sticky coat of beeswax, I hold 'em close to the fire until the wax melts and runs.  Run that melted wax around and it should suck up into the wood pretty nice, wipe dry with a papertowel and save that for starting your next campfire.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 12:23:39 pm »
What Mullet said.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:43:40 am »
I've been making wooden salad bowls for a long time. The first thing I do is raise the grain with water and then knock it down with 220 grit. I then use two finishes, Watco Danish Oil first and then Walnut oil. I flood the wood with Watco, put it up and wait at least two weeks for the Watco to dry. When the Watco is completely dry I hit the bowl again with 220grit and then apply a maintenance finish of generic walnut oil. By treating the wood in this way the finish is IN the wood not on the surface of the wood. Walnut oil will harden over time, not evaporate, and will not turn rancid.
Most of the above mentioned finishes offered by the other guys will work as they are penetrating finishes not surface finshes.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:32:05 am »
Hey 33,
      This part of Northern Michigan used to be a major center for making wooden utensils (turn of the century) and I understand they made them from all kinds of wood (mostly Linden/ basswood though).
      Anyways, they finished them with vegetable oil by dipping them in the stuff when it's just short of boiling. set them aside for a bit then rub off the excess. Ya can wash 'em and everything and if needed all ya do is re-dip as necessary to refresh the "finish". When ya put the wood into the hot grease, it will actually foam (quite vigorusly too).....thats the air being driven out of the wood as the oil replaces it.........works pretty slick.   That's exactly how I finish my bows, only I use the grease/pitch combo instead. After about 2-3 treatments that wood will laugh at water, snow etc.  JMO
rich

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »
great! thanks alot everyone
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"