Author Topic: I may have to...  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Mechslasher

I may have to...
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:43:27 pm »
rethink my hunting strategy.  i have a stand over looking several fruiting persimmon trees but everytime i hunt it all i see are gray foxes.  i put a buddy it in just after the season opened and he killed a nice doe a few minutes after he sat down.  then to add insult to injury he videoed another doe walking by at 10' later that afternoon and set it to me.  i knew when i set up the stand it was going to be a good one, but as i've said, i haven't seen a thing.  well for the last few afternoons i decided to hunt a stand a couple hundred yards down the trail and i've jumped deer around the persimmons just about everytime.  well now after downloading the pics from the trail cam on one of the persimmons, i think i need to reevaluate the parameters in which i have been using to pick the right stand.  check out the time and dates on the pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Mechslasher

Re: I may have to...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »
looks like i have to get to the stand a little earlier next week.  forgot to add that while hunting my second stand i looked up and saw spike trailing where i had walked in.  i spray my boots down with raccoon pee for the walk in and i'll be damned if he wasn't walking down the trail with his nose to the ground.  he got about 50 yards away and lost interest in the trail and turned around.  i grabbed my grunt call.  i blew it once and the spike froze and turned his head, i hit it again and here he comes.  he took the long way around and after about 15 minutes he gave me a nice broadside shot at 13 yards.  i was shooting my new parker vagabond with carbon arrows.  with this set up i decided to use some tracer nocks just for the fun of it.  well i watched as the glowing arrow sailed just over his back.  he turned and ran into the kudzu about 25 yards and started to feed again.  then to my surprise he turned and started feeding right back to me.  this time he turned and walked about 15 feet in front of my ladder.  well, i thought i had a chip shot.  i drew, released, and had a case of de ju vue.  just then the first arrow started to blink.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:04:01 am »
Chris, is this over at your farm? Looks like a lot of tasty prospects there.

Did you see up the road where a skunk got hit? I was working that Phone Pedestal, right there above the corner, and it was one ripe hour I'll tell ya.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
 Yep, you should have traded that bow to me for the Serpentine. ;) Can't wait to get back up there Thursday night, finally a good moon phase.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?