Author Topic: Sumac  (Read 2984 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Sumac
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:40:40 pm »
I was gifted with a 5' diameter log of unknown origins.  I ran it over to the City Arborist, he was stumped (man I love puns).  Took it to the County Extension Agent and he went out on a limb (hehe) and said it might be a softwood, but was unsure.  He leafed (*giggle*) through some books and said he was going to the eastern part of the state and wood (hawhaw) take it along to have some other guys look at it.  I got the call today and he says it is some sort of sumac, but cannot say for sure since there are no leaves to compare. 

Long and short of it, this wood is dense, extremely close growth rings, pale sapwood and dark heartwood.  If I make a sumac bow, should I use sapwood or go down to heartwood?  Anyone have experience with sumac?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Sumac
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:03:01 am »
No experience making bows out of Sumac but I have cut some before.  The Sumac up here is ring porous with green heartwood.  It's also very light.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:00:38 am »
I wouldn't waste my time with sumac for a bow. My experience is that it takes a lot of set and works about as well as cottonwood or aspen. You might try it for arrows though.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Far East Archer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:34:17 am »
Japanese sumac, or wax tree Rhus succedanea is quite dense, 0.70 sg and is used for core wood many times. Though, I am tempted to try selfbow from it or backed bow. (to be honest small shoots snapped quite easily but are very springy before snapping. Maybe weak in tension but has good compression strength.) So, some testing is needed.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:23:03 am »
Keep testing!
If we don't try new things....none of us learn...
Let me know what you find out!
I think, whatever you try, you bring experience to us all!!!!!

God
Bless

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:34:00 am »
Bend It!!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »
Can't hurt to add it to the "to do" list, can it?  As said above... it's all experience, knowledge and information to pass on, eh?   ;)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:48 pm »
Don't be a sap, the root of the problem is I never saw anyone use it.  I woodn't use it it as it appears you are barking up the wrong tree.  :D :D ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
jw if im not mistaken ancient archer uses it. dont know the characteristics though
lol josh i see its contagious

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:35 am »
Hey now, you better leaf me alone Ken.  I just pine for attention sometimes can't help it.  I'm aspen you nicely now.   Sorry JW I like puns alot too.  Don't mean to hijack. ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:04 pm »
Josh, you're oak-ay with me.  Heck, I'd go so far as to say you might be my alder- ego.  (by the way, I appreciate how you have really taken the elm with the BOM thing)

Thwacky, HatchA, Okie...just what I wanted to hear.  Let the chips fall where they may.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »
LOL thanks JW.  Glad to hear you are branching out and trying a new wood.  :)