Linked Events

• NC Knap-In: September 17, 2010 - September 19, 2010

Author Topic: NC Knap-In Sept. 17-19, 2010  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

NC Knap-In Sept. 17-19, 2010
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »
We had to scramble to find a new place to hold this event.  A visitor to our first Knap-In enjoyed himself so much that he has allowed us to hold the event at his farm in Orange County, N.C. just west of Chapel Hill.  As usual, our aim is to have fun. The working flyer is attached, though I will make any necessary changes.

We are looking to add typical donated items for our raffle, so if you can't make it but wish to help, we would appreciate it.

Come see us.

I would happily email the flyer to anyone who wants a copy.
Jim
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:53:31 am by Calendargirl »
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: NC Knap-In Sept. 17-19, 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:00 pm »
Here is a bigger map and directions.

From Burlington:
Take I-40 East to Exit 261 (Old 86).  Go right (south) on Old Chapel Hill-Hillsborough Road (Old 86) ~11 miles.  You will go through a traffic light at the intersection at Calvander.  Continue to the large field on the Right.  Take a Right at the big arrowhead sign.

From Raleigh:
Take I-40 West to Exit 263 (New Hope Church Road).  Go left across the I-40 bridge and continue ~1.5 miles to Left on Old Chapel Hill-Hillsborough Road (Old 86). Go ~5.5 miles through the intersection with a traffic light at Calvander and continue to the large field on the right.  Turn right at thje big arrowhead sign.

From Pittsboro:
Take 15-501 North to Left on the Highway 54 Bypass.  Go ~5.5 miles to Right on Old Fayetteville Road (just past the Post Office on the right). Go North on Old Fayetteville Road ~2 miles to the large field on the Left.  Trun Left at the big arrowhead sign.

Jim

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:28:14 am »
Great to hear that this event is continuing Jim, I plan to be there.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 12:34:08 am »
Glad to hear it Alan.  Looking forward to seeing you.  I will probably get to the Schiele Knap-In this August.  Do you have plans to make that one?

Jim

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39:39 am »
I plan to be at that one also Jim, hope to see you there.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:09 am »
Hi Jim,

We hope to get up there too.  Sure had a great time last year with Mike's bow class and my sad attempt at learning to whack those stones!!:)  Will be glad to talk flutes to anyone who might be interested.  BTW...last year a fellow from Ohio (As I remember) gave me a little iron wood stave...it was just a slim little thing and I didn't think it would ever make a bow...my bow making buddy came over and I talked him into taking it off the front porch and home with him...he took it home and surprised me by bringing me a sweet little bow back!!!  It shoots off the hand and is only about 35-40 pounds but sure is fun to shoot!:)  My bow making buddy wants me to find him so more iron wood staves...says he really enjoyed the wood.  So, that has taught me to never give up on a stave until you really try it.  Maybe this year I will actually learn how to whack a rock the right way!!

Rand and Barbara and Sally the Catahoula
Catahoulaflutes
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:54:48 am »
Rand,
Everybody starts knapping at square one, so don't be worried about what your first attempts look like.  Keep after it.  Glad to hear that stave worked out.  You can't have too many sweet-shooting bows can you?  I hope you get the chance to come hang out with us. There ought to be some good knappers around to learn from there.

Jim

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »
up

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »
Thanks for the bump Rand.

It looks like Hurricane Igor is going to stay off-shore and will spare our Knap-In 8).  They're calling for mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-80s all weekend.  I've been hearing from lots of folks coming to join us.  I hope to see you there.

Jim 

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:42 pm »
Hi Jim,

Know of any good BBQ restaurants that are near the knap-in site? 

BTW:
(If anyone would like to trade for a flute and a flute lesson I have some of my "Backpacker flutes" for trade... I am looking for staves and antlers and will consider other things too.:))

Rand