Author Topic: Tamarack as bow wood  (Read 5629 times)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
Tamarack as bow wood
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »
Hello all Yesterday  I cut some tamarack up-12" log very sraight only one knot ,fine rings anyone ever work with this before what design would be best.?thanks for your help -Hammertime

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tamarack as bow wood
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »
Probably not bow wood but might make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:54:09 pm »
Hammertime....with my limited experience with Tamarack...we cut a lot for fence posts and firewood....it has bad spiral grain tendencies...I doubt it would be worth Tue time go steam out all of the twist...jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:09 pm »
I had seen a short bow at  a museum in Maine, many years ago, that was listed as Tamarack. It had a broken sinew string. Wouldn't know weather or not it makes a good bow, but if the sign on the bow was accurate to the wood species, then it was used by some tribes as bow wood. Make one and let us know. 

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:46:41 pm »
Thanks  for the advice guys well see what I can do,I  have mix feelings the TBB4 says "good bows have been reported"thats it.maybe I'll try when I get some time-Thanks Hammertime

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:38:20 am »
Ive heard it's very much like fir heartwood. If the rings are tight and the wood dense, it's definitly doable. I'd watch for spiral grain too, I know all the ones I found did about 2 or 3 revolutions in a six foot section (only grew on or near the top of a mountain in my area). Other than that, give it a shot and go easy on it. Sounds like you have plenty, so do an sg test, and overbuild slightly for that sg. Good luck, and be sure to post pictures.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein