Author Topic: Need recommondation which stave to get....  (Read 2138 times)

The German

Need recommondation which stave to get....
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:28:15 pm »
I have built only one bow from a oak board and it worked out quite o.k. I am now wanting to built a bow from a stave. As options a I have black locust or Osage. What would you recommend. Also to make sure I understand right, normally you just remove the bark and then start with the first ( outermost) ring for the back of the bow, but with Osage you remove the rings until you get to the "hardwood"?
All your help is highly appreciated!

Offline sailordad

Re: Need recommondation which stave to get....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
i would go with the osage
bl tends to chrysal easy if the tiller isnt right

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »
JMO, Osage is the Golden Wood. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »
I'd go with the osage, and remove the bark and sapwood... and then chase the first decent thick ring.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:25:57 am »
i agree with all osage is the wood  BUT if ya rellley wanna learn to make bows and ur brave not afarid to blow one up go with locust  thats the bow teachers wood  it will show and tell you what you did wrong  locust is the teacher  brock

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:49 am »
Osage, osage, osage; and any other type of hardwood stave to warm-up with. Good luck.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:31:20 am »
I'd go with the BL because you still have to chase to a heartwood ring and it will be good practice and then I'd go to the osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:08 am »
Personally, I don't want to recommend anything to you - there are advantages to both. I'll leave it up to you, but do be aware that:

BL bows can be all heartwood, or heartwood and sapwood. On some, if you have enough heartwood, you can leave some sapwood or not even chase a ring at all. The more heartwood you have, the better though. BL bows make real nice eastern woodlands style bows, which are simple, yet pretty and very effective.

Osage is a way more forgiving wood in many aspects, and it would probably be easier for you to produce a bow from it. However, Osage sapwood is basically worthless and you will have to chase down to the heartwood absolutely.

...Just so you know.

CP

DCM4

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:21:16 am »
If osage sapwood hasn't been compromised in it's curing, by bacteria or mold, it is perfectly fine bow wood.  I've seen all sapwood, or sapwood backed osage bows.  I have one floor tillered.  Black locust has been treated exactly the same way, by convention, for the exact same reason.

If you have access to both, and appetite, I'd do both.  But all else equal, cost, quality of the speciment, ect., osage is generally regarded as the preferred choice.  This is particularly true  for the novice bowyer, where little hinges encountered during the tillering process might be more likely to chrysal with black locust.