Author Topic: birch tree/log...  (Read 1708 times)

HatchA

birch tree/log...
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »
Ok, so I was talking with one of my work colleagues yesterday about trees and he said he has access to a good amount of birch.  I explained that I'm looking for a 6 - 7 foot long straight section, clean of branches and knots etc.  He told me today he found one yesterday evening and will cut it down and to length for me soon.

I've checked briefly in the search option and found birch can indeed be used for bow wood.  Question I have at the moment is this...  Should I split it traditionally with hammer and wedges or is it ok to cut up with a saw?  I'm assuming the saw would depend on how straight/true the log will be?  Also depending on internal stress cracks too? 

This will be my first time dealing with a freshly cut tree/log so any and all advice is much appreciated!

Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: birch tree/log...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »
Ya pays ya money ya takes ya choice.
Splitting has the advantage of showing the real run of the wood but can twist or run off spoiling what would otherwise be good to use.
I'd say if it's fairly big (say 8") you could probably split it and be fairly sure of getting a stave even if there is some twist. If it's only 4 or 5" sawing will garantee you some staves.
I tend to use the saw now as I've seen too many wasted staves with splitting, but on the other paw, splitting feels more 'primitive'.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:55 pm »
Thanks Del, was thinking similarly.  He couldn't say what diameter it is so I'll wait to see it for myself.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »
Birch is easy to split. 2 wedges and a hammer should put you in business.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
I have, and I would split birch. It splits easy and straight. It's one of the only indigenous woods here where I live that makes a bow. Make the bow wide, long, and flat. Birch makes an awesome pyramid style bow, and I've made a couple with good success.