Author Topic: Final/re-sharpening  (Read 2680 times)

Offline TreyNC

Final/re-sharpening
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »
So I am knocking out some points finally! And I am ready to use them, the only problem is getting the final sharpening done. Most of the points are obsidian, glass, or dasite. How do you get the razor sharp blade down the entire length. Does any one know of a tutorial or vid to watch. I have been really excited to finally get decent looking points some what consistently until I realized I am not sure how to sharpen.

Trey

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Final/re-sharpening
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:31:24 pm »
the horshoe nail notcher is good for that. You take off smaller flakes to get the edge thinner. Come on down to the house and we will work on it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:33 am »
Use a horse shoe nail notcher. Place the tip of the nail just above the deltas and flake down. go down the edge and remove all the deltas this way. alternating from one face to the other as needed to keep a strait edge. no need to abrade here sense your placing the tool above the platform and using downword pressure.
It my take 3 or 4 passes but if you take your time and do it right it will be razor sharp.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:26 am »
Use a horse shoe nail notcher. Place the tip of the nail just above the deltas and flake down. go down the edge and remove all the deltas this way. alternating from one face to the other as needed to keep a strait edge. no need to abrade here sense your placing the tool above the platform and using downword pressure.
It my take 3 or 4 passes but if you take your time and do it right it will be razor sharp.

what he said,he KNOWS what hes talking aboot  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »
Like Jesse said. I usually use a really, really fine-pointed copper or antler flaker and go down the sides picking off deltas, thick spots, and such; then make a pass down each side making little micro-serrations.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
thanks guys. TJ just let me know when you got nothing going on. I'll make a few more points to be ready.

Trey

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:22:44 pm »
Will do Trey. Le tme know how next weekend looks for you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
Thea's out of town, so I have the kids.