Author Topic: all bamboo bow..  (Read 3750 times)

Offline aero86

all bamboo bow..
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:07 am »
so now im thinking about my next try.  ive seen instances of bamboo used in the bows that i like.  so ive been thinking of a bamboo backed bamboo bow.  i guess it depends on the materials i can find, but do you guys think ill get at least 35 to 45 out of it with just bamboo?  or should their be a filler piece of wood.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline bigfish

Re: all bamboo bow..
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:43 am »
you can get high draw from boo and some fast speeds i have always gone to rudder bows for my bamboo as they have every thing needed for an all bamboo bow

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:10:53 pm »
I beleive the best bamboo back and belly bows have a tapered core of either wood or bamboo.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »
on another archery site there was a young man who posted a few all bamboo recurve build alongs, he uses another type of wood for the handle and i believe a powerlam too. he tillers the laminations before glue up and uses titebond glue. very nice bows.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:12 pm »
i think i need to discuss it with robustus.  i stumbled upon a post of his a year ago where he built one.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »
 I've made a bamboo backed, bamboo flooring bow that was 55# at 28". It didn't have any cast. I'm going to flatten the belly abd put a bamboo backing on it also, and see how that works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »
There was a guy who used to come to PA by the name of Russell Bartlow that made some Bamboo backed Bamboo flooring bows.  He posted pics of one in an RD style that he said spit out arrows at over 190 fps with hunting weight arrows. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »
There have been a few articles in PA Magazine about making all bamboo bows. I believe one was from a guy in Germany. These were a few years back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC