Author Topic: How much set?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

How much set?
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »
I just started an oak board pyramid. Shooting for 48# @ 28'', the bow is 66", 2'' at the fades to 3/8'' tips. Right now the tiller is looking real good and I'm at 48# @18''. So far the bow has taken about 1/2 to 3/4 of set. How much can I expect it to take when I get to 28''?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Badger

Re: How much set?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:04 pm »
   I doubt anyone can answer that beyond a quess. Depends a lot on the mositure content of the wood and the tiller shape. A pyramid bow should be looking for a round tiller shape and it should start to bend right out of the fades mainataining an equal bend throughout the limb.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »
most set ive gotten in one of my bows was about 1 3/4", but it was a short bow with questionable wood. 1/2 to 3/4" of set isnt too bad. make sure youre not pulling it to more than your 48#, or set may get worse

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:29:42 am »
Unfortunately a fair bit more if you already have that at 18". When you see set developing you need to reduce weight before it is permanent.
Gordon

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
I usually get 2" of set from oak/red oak.  Still pretty quick shooters

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »
Thanks guys.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »
yep i think that red oak is almost prone to set with the exception of overbuilt bows. might be the porous grain combined with its low tolerance to compressive forces. shorter bows will amplify this, as well as certain aspects of less suitable wood. pyramid designs and long flatbows seems to be where red oak really shines, although with careful tillering you can get away with other designs. the bow i have with the most set is 60"OAL, "D" bow, pulls 50#@27" wood wasnt top choice, even developed a crack at a grain runoff i had to seal with superglue and wrap, but it still shoots today.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:40 pm »
There are so many factors that go into how much set, such as skill, lenth, width, etc that it is impossibe to say how much set you will get. I don't believe the type of wood used is one of them provided the proper design is used. Having said all of this I think you should make your bow and not worry about it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:14:27 pm »
Made weight this afternoon. The bow took about 1 3/4. Shot a hand full of arrows and it acts like it will be a screamer. I noticed the bottom fade had lifted ever so slightly so I reflexed it a bit and shot it full of super glue. I'll hope for the best.