Author Topic: a special bow  (Read 1403 times)

Offline don't cry wolf

a special bow
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:55:02 am »
i've made one selfbow and learned a lot about bow making. im looking to make a really special bow on my next try. i sorta like the paddle bow style but need some advice.

1. what type of bow should i make

2. what type of wood should i use

3. what are some add ons that can make a bow one of a kinds...

4. im kinda on a budget so cost friendly solutions are appreciated

Offline sailordad

Re: a special bow
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:42:37 am »
lonewolf, welcome to PA  ;D
glad to have you here.

the answeres to the majority of your questions only you can answer.
such as whta bow style,add ons to make it one of a kind.

as far as the wood goes.some woods work better for certain designs versus other woods.
but almost any wod can make a bow as long as the proper demensions are used for the bow design adn wood being utilized.

if youve only made one bow so far you might want to try a differant style other than the paddle bow.
from what i have heard(never mae on yet,but have one in the planning stages) can be real tricky to get tillered properly.
as far as wood goes,what grows near you?
hickory is known as a good wood for beginners because it can take some improper tiller and design and still work.
other woods such as back locust require almost perfect tiller or they will chrysal on you.

as far as add ons go,ALOT of people like snake skins on the back,or fish skins,some have adorned their bows with turkey feathers,hoof strike plates,antler tips overlays,fancy wood tip overlays etc.theres only the limit of your imagination as to what can or cant be added for asthetic reasons to make your bow "YOUR BOW"
wait for others to reply as most think my opinion aint shit anyhow lol

but remember have fun and post pics and ask questions.
this site is filled with some of the best wood bowyers in the world and has even more that think they are the best.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: a special bow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:39 am »
If you have only made one bow I'd say you are not quite ready for a "special" bow. Just reading your questions tells me you still have a lot to learn about wood bow building. I'm not putting you down by any stretch of the imagination , we have all been where you are right now and if you made a successful bow for your first bow you are way ahead of most of us here on PA.
  Read everything you can about building wood bows. There are "build alongs" here in the "How To" section that will take you step by step through the process. There are a few websites referenced here on PA that offer lots of info. Make a few more "simple" bows and learn the tillering process, the different characteristics of different woods and the different requirements of different bow designs and ask lots of questions here on PA. You have some of the best wood bow builders in the world waiting to answer your questions and give you time proven advise. Post pics or what you are working on highlighting your problems but also your success.
  Building wood bows is a process that you have to take a step at a time. You have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk.
  Welcome to PA! We are all looking forward to your success. It is a fun journey so enjoy the ride!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC