Author Topic: my first bow,tiller question  (Read 2122 times)

Offline goatfarmer67

my first bow,tiller question
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:24:31 pm »
i started my first bow build last weekend.i got the best piece of red oak 1x2x6 that i could find at lowes.so far
it is 72" long,1 3/4" wide all through the middle.at 3" past mid limb it tapers to 1/2" tips.4" handle area 3/4" thick
then tapering to 1/2" at the tips.i sanded all the rasp marks and bumps down to 120 grit,radiused all the corners,
and used 80 grit on the back before gluing on a brown paper back with TB3.
my question concerns one of the limbs that seems to wants to twist slightly out toward the tip when the bow is pulled
to 15" from a 2" brace height,which is where i am at so far in the tiller process.how would i,should i, attempt to
correct this.i wish that i could post a pic,but the only camera i had was a camera phone,and it died over the weekend.
but i dont think it twists enough for it to show up in a picture anyway.
thanks for ya'lls help in advance,
ken

half eye

Re: my first bow,tiller question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:43 pm »
Since I cant see it this is just a guess....but is easy to check. You might be getting the twist because the limb is not equal in thickness from side to side.  I mean the twisting limb itself may not be of equal thickness.....ya can measure that from side to side and will let ya know right away......happens on the mollegabets very often because of their wide working limbs, and it's easy to get one side thicker than the other.

Hope it helps.....just a quick thought
rich

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »
thanks half eye,i will check it tomorrow morning when i get back from the new lumber yard that i found,near my house.
it all looks equal,but i will check it with calipers every couple of inches and see how close it is.maybe that is all it needs.
ken

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:36:13 am »
i don't know if this'll help ya or not ubt i found that my limbs twist ever so slightly when its on the tiller tree because i have my notches cut wrong, the string doesn't pull directly down the center so maybe this is a problem for you? maybe not
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:49:30 pm »
thanks blades,i checked that first.doesnt seem to be the problem.only one limb.
i did measure the thickness side to side,only about .030 off on that limb.i corrected that and it still is ever so slightly twisted.
i noticed a stiff place,about halfway between mid limb and the nocks,that seems to be where the twist originates.should
i actually make it thinner on the stiff side to compensate.
thanks,ken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:38:04 am »
Remove wood from the side that is not twisting ie the high side. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:20 pm »
thanks jawge,scraped the twist out,then started scrapping all the way across to lower draw weight and it came back.
guess i'll have to compensate from here on out.