Author Topic: tip overlay falure... Please help. I'm at a loss...  (Read 5342 times)

Offline brian_restivo

Re: tip overlay falure... Please help. I'm at a loss...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 02:17:09 pm »
I have to use something for nocks. Tips are too narrow to notch. I could use a wrapped nock, but that would look a little out of place on this one. I'm probably gunna switch glues and go back to studding them. I'll have to keep it marked out better so I don't hit one again. Tho im not to fond of metal in my bows. 
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 04:56:11 pm »
I had a failure once with 5-min epox, came off in the shaping process.
Use superglue most of the time now, would give TB3 a chance, too, if it was wood, but not for horn overlays.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »
I've put a bunch of overlays on with two-ton epoxy over the years and never had one come off. I never scored it with a hacksaw blade, though. I don't trust five-minute epoxy too far. The only overlay I ever had come off was purpleheart overlay on ipe glued with TBIII. The string broke on the bow at full draw, and it vibrated hard enough to crack and craze the finish all over the bow. About a month later, one of the overlays popped loose.
Cacatch, the main reason people use overlays isn't to protect the wood in most cases, it's to allow you to build skinny little tips that increase th bow's speed and performance.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »
As in this case...   I was trying to get some pics up with my new camera but the pics where to big and I'm done screw'n with it for today. I just ordered some kwick-it blue from 3rivers. They said thats what the use on there tomahawks so I've got my hopes up for it. I'll post how well it works in a week or 2.
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Cacatch

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 05:59:44 pm »
Yeah I know. What I was getting at though is that unless the wood is very soft and likely to be damaged by the string, you don't absolutely HAVE TO use overlays, there is a simple solution which is not to use them, (i.e. don't make the tips so pencil thin). The first few bows I made I made with the pencil-thin idea in mind too, and quickly found out that I flat out didn't like overlays and started to wonder why I was even doing them. Just because so many other guys did and it seemed like the thing to do? I decided to go my own way and quit the overlay pencil-thin obsession. If a guy likes overlays and all that, great. I just meant to point out that there is another option too.

CP

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:56 pm »
You do have a point. Tho i've been going in the opposite direction. My tips keep getting narrower. I've only finished 7 or 8 bows (and maybe twice that in "learning experences"). I started using wood overlays on white wood with no problems and moved on to  buffalo horn last year. I'm more drawn to the looks than anything else, that and trying different things.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »
I have used titebond, super glue, two ton epoxy, and five minute epoxy. I have only ever had a tip come off with five minute epoxy I don't use it anymore.
SW Utah

Offline gmc

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:46 pm »
Easiest solution would be to forget overlays on knocks. Unless maybe you're using a very soft wood, you don't really need them. I never put overlays on anything.

CP

There's a lot of wisdom in these words.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:07:06 pm by gmc »
Central Kentucky

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »
Yep...  I think we have a consensus here. Don't use 5 min epoxy. Hopefully someone is saved from running out of cuss words.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »
As Eric said, epoxies are too brittle and it's the shock that gets to them.  Unfortunately I have also found that superglues are much the same, they seem to be acceptable when used on horn though.  TB3 seems to work on everything.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
Brian, I have had the same problem in the past. I now use smooth on Epoxy and heat to dry. Since you have sealed the wood from previous glue attempts, it will be hard to re-glue. I would soak a horn tip  in boiling water and super( glue as ryan) has said. Or make a tip with a split down the middle and splize on the tip with super glue. I have done the latter with success. Good Luck Denny

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »
Looks like Im going to be trying out a couple of glues and turning my head as I shoot....  Just in case.  The guy I talked to at 3Rivers said Kwick-It is basically a super glue but for what ever reason takes the shock. 17 dollars for super glue, it better. I might rig up a test with scrap wood and some horn. Then drop increasing amounts of weights from it. That might give me a better idea of which glue to use.