Author Topic: A good problem to have (harvesting osage)  (Read 2152 times)

Offline profsaffel

A good problem to have (harvesting osage)
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:16 am »
Hi, all.

A few days ago, a man that I work with told me his parents have 240 acres of trees with much of it bodark!!!  :o He says hedgeapples litter the ground all over. I know, I know you are salivating just thinking about it.

Anyway, my 'problem' is that I've never harvested wood on another persons property before. Any advice? Coach says his dad is also interested in my bows. So, I'm thinking that the least I can do is make the property owner a bow from the harvest. What other advice do you have? I've harvested staves before, so I know the process, but I'm not sure about osage. Is a powerful chainsaw a must? How many trees could I take before over doing it? Do I bring a gift? Any advice could be useful.

Thanks,
Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A good problem to have (harvesting osage)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:21 am »
Doug, a bow for the land owner is a good idea. Also be sure to clean up what you don't take with you. Ask about piling the brush or cutting the extra into firewood for the owner. Will he let you hunt there too?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45:20 am »
Don't go hog wild and put a bunch of trees on the ground in one day. I suggest cutting one nice tree, cut the trunk to stave or billet length, wasting nothing in the tree 36" long or longer. Haul you booty home to split, debark and remove the sapwood(paint the ends and backs after sapwood removal with multiple coats of shellac) then pat yourself on the back for not cutting more trees than you handle at one time. I learned this lesson at the expense of having a pile of osage ruin( beetle damage and checking) before I had the time to work my way through it.

Osage is such a special wood it is better left standing until it can be treated with the respect it deserves.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
you guys are forgetting the most important piece of advise in a case like this

once yo get it all cut/split/sealed you need to send staves to us   ;)

free advise,never heard of such a thing  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline wundabred

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:50:32 pm »
so far no one has ever complained.  Like the others said, be tidy, offer a gift, and you can probably cut down all the osage you can carry in a giant truck.  good score