Author Topic: Building a workshop  (Read 2989 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Building a workshop
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:15:09 am »
As always I turn to the vast amount of knowledge you guys willing share with those of us in need.  I'm building a 16x20 workshop.  It will have a 10x16 attic/loft area to store staves, wood scraps....  I plan to put in double 36" doors to allow for larger items to move in and out of the shop.  My primary passionate of course is building bow.  But, I want this shop to be adaptible for other projects, also.  I've wanted to build a cedar strip canoe for years.  So, that will be a project I'd like to do in the next 2 or 3 years.

I, also, need a spot to make arrows, do leather work,  you know all that fun primitive stuff

I have a bandsaw.  I plan to buy a table saw, belt sander, planer and drill press.  I need word space, benches, pondering room, low benches/tables to sit while building arrow and drawing out plans for projects.

I plan to have a vent fan in the loft area and at least 3 high window (above bench area), plus a window in one door.  Sky lights would be somewhat tricky (the shop will have tin roof, but still not impossible).

I know from experience that there is always design features that we would change somewhat to fit our needs better.  That's why I'm asking you, more experience bowyer, wood workers how you'd design your dream workshop.

Feel free to draw in any details to this pic that you think would improve the design.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Building a workshop
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:57:02 am »
Not sure how much knowlege I have, but here's how I laid out my shop.  I built a 30x45 steel building divided into a garage/metal shop side and a woodworking/bowmaking side.  Here's the layout of the building:

http://72.64.80.21/gks-pictures/tx_shop.pdf

and here's the layout of the wood shop itself:

http://72.64.80.21/gks-pictures/tx_wood_shop.pdf

Like all plans, when the kids came home to live with us for awhile, this one changed and the bathroom/butcher shop/wood storage loft have all been turned into storage for their stuff.  Once they move out I can continue.  I will say, no matter how big you build it, if you aren't careful you'll have it filled with junk in no time.

Good luck with your shop.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:04:34 pm »
I would add a dust collection system to the tool list if I were using all those wood working tools in the shop.  ;D My garage is always knee deep in sawdust.

Skylights are easy to add to a metal roof if you keep them close to the top. If your ridge cap covers 7" on each side you want the skylight down 8". This way you can flash after the metal is down and before the ridge cap and not have any problems.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:11:44 pm »
My "shop" is just my little half of basement, but I'll comment on what I think is ideal.  I'd put dolly's on all that equipment so you can "park" all of it along the wall and roll it into the open as needed.  I'd also definitely have an exhaust system, or at least a box fan in the window.  The bandsaw is by far the biggest maker of fine dust and sinus infections.  I won't use mine indoors anymore and roll it from my garage to the driveway to use.   You might consider adding a small patio by the double doors so you can roll it outside to do the same.  I like the loft idea and would make sure the framing is big enough to support your wood stash.  Could you curtain off an area to make a spray booth?

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »
buy a mobile base for your tablesaw. A couple sets of good wood saw horses will come in handy.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:53:28 am »
Thanks Justin for the idea of a skylight. 
I appreciate all your guy's advice.  The mobile tools make sense.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:18:29 pm »
hey hedge another thing to think about is what direction it faces and have doors on both ends so the air flow can blow through to keep it cool. we build ours facing north and south so a north wind or south wind will blow through with no problem  ;)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995