Author Topic: handle width  (Read 1741 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

handle width
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »
for a deep non-bending handle, can the handle be 6/8" wide or is that too narrow?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: handle width
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:36:40 pm »
I've done it with oak and hickory and also ipe , so my answer is yes you can.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »
6/8" is 3/4" and that is almost too narrow but if the bow isn't too strong and the handle is deep enough it should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »
I once had a boss that would rip you apart if you were a non-reducer.  Next thing you know, you'd be sent to the store to go get a board stretcher!
 ;D
Anyhow, I've seen hickory bows with 3/4 handles that were up to 60#.  I've been bringing mine down close but slightly wider than this, lately.  I like the way they feel.
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:04:38 am »
It's the thickness that's important to the strength.
Bottom line is make it thick enough not to break and the rest is down to comfort.

If it's twice as thick as the limb it will be 8 times stronger, so then if it's half the limb width that would still be 4 times stronger.
If it's 3 times as thick as the limb it will be 27 times stronger! So you could make it really narrow (1/8 of the limb width!) and still get away with it.
Of course in reality it's all about blending in the curves to avoid sudden changes of section and stress concentrations, also if you went too narrow you'd lose rigidity from side to side.
Hmm, I expect that's as clear as mud.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:00 am »
I reduced the handle width to just under 3/4" on a 60# recurve bow once, once only.  It allowed the bow to flex sideways a bit so that the string would just about fall off the recurve, fixed it by inlaying a thin strip of wood inside the handle at the arrow pass.  Never did that again
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
If the bow is short or lightweight, then the limbs will be thin enough not to cause a problem in the slightest. Otherwise... see "Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM"  :D