Author Topic: newbie,best way to start  (Read 3481 times)

Offline goatfarmer67

newbie,best way to start
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:23:09 pm »
just wanted to say hello to all.i've been lurking here for quite a while,reading all that i can.and i am in awe of all the knowledge here on this forum.
needless to say,i have to build my self a bow.i've collected draw knives,planes,saws,rasps,files and sand paper.i have a 1x6 hickory board,and a red oak
the same size.and about 1x2 a truckload of pecan in 1x up to 12" wide.
i also have a hickory recurve bow that i bought.it has siyahs glued on,or,it did.one of them flew off.so my question is,should i start out trying to build a bow,or,
trying to repair the one i have.just to get my hands dirty?
the reason why i ask is,that i am sure that to do the repair,the bow will have to be modified and subsequently re-tillered.so i would get a little experience.
and if i mess it up,well,its already broken.i think that i can get pics of it on here if anyone is interested.
thanks,ken

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Re: newbie,best way to start
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »
I would try to make a bow from scratch from the hickory or red oak you got. You need to learn some basic bow making knowledge I recomend buying the bowman's bible from amazon. It is good you got all those tools too, you need to find out what ones work the best for you. Most importantly never give up permenatly on trying to make a bow. It took me 2 years to make a shootable bow.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »
I would try to make an entirely new bow out of the oak or hickory, then when you gain a little more knowledge I would try fixing your other one.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:27:30 pm »
welcome aboard sir,
        Believe ya might be better served to build one (ya can do the repair job at the same time or later) Even if ya do a total screw-up you will learn more than fixin some problem. I dont get much hickory boards but Ken 75 uses 'em all the time and makes good,solid, shootin bows....so ya might want to start with the hickory (good bows and pretty forgiving of mistakes).
        Figure out what kind a bow ya like the looks of, and read up all ya can on it, ask these guys questions, check out the "how-to" / build along section and maybe some of them books the fellas talk about. If ya take yer time and some use some TLC it'll work pretty darned good for ya. Hell if I can build 'em....then anybody can.....but it is REAL addictive so be warned.
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »
im with the rest of these fine gents. start by bending some new wood . and i'd be glad to help in any way possible. by the way i grew up next door to you in Jackson. lived there from 81 to 92, spent a lot of time in griffin and some of my folks still live there

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:35 pm »
Welcome! You got the tools. Start making some shavings. My site may help. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:54 am »
The short answer is "Any way... the important thing is to start".
The long answer, is. I wouldn't be trying fancy stuff like siyahs etc.
Keep it simple, a plain board bow, or stave bow will have the highest chance of success and teach you most.
My personal preference is for staves from smallish diameter trees/branches, but that's just me.
The best timber, is the bit you can get hold of!
Good luck, and welcome to the club!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »
well,looks like the majority says to build a bow.and thanks for all the replies.i guess i'll start with the red oak first.
would it be a good idea to just follow a board bow build along to start off with?
george,been to your website many times,i think i can safely say that i have read every word on it.thank you.
ken75,i've spent a little time in jackson myself,still got folks over on keys ferry rd.and i hit fresh air bbq every time i go to the river.
thanks,
ken

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:33 pm »
following a  build along is a good idea, then on your second one you can design it your way to suit your needs.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »
ok,sounds like a plan so far.i'll get started and try to take pics,and let ya'll know how it works out.
thanks,
ken

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
Sounds like you have the first few necessities out of the way...tools and a stack of wood.  So many people start out without either of those!  Borrowed tools and something outa their bowyer buddy's shop corner that has been gathering dust for years and off they go.

Go forth and do good things, make shavings.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »
i like that,jw,i shall go forth.shavings will be made.
i have been waiting a long time to get started.always seem to have been busy.but,we got the kid all grown up,he now serves in th U.S.A.F,
and i seem to have some time for myself now.
i look forward to it.
ken