Author Topic: Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 04:29:31 am »
It's just mother natures way of slappin' us down (It gives the women folk a day off :-* )
Have a man hug and get back in the saddle ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:04 pm »
Thanks everyone. This is a stave bow, and the split isn't in the limbs, just the riser popping off. Under the split end on the belly you can see the deep brown from the tempering. I guess from now on I'll just make my handles a little wider, no worries. Should make them a little heavier in the hand, more stable.

I have some Smooth-On from a couple glass bows we built for my friend and brother, should be a little stronger than TB III, but more than that there's plenty left. Half Eye, that's brilliant! I'm sure between that and the glue it can be saved. I'm not letting it go without a fight ;). It has some work to do!

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:08 pm »
it looks fixable, and i like your attitude.., 'not letting it go without a fight'  :)

i had a handle (glued on) start to split much like yours has this morning. i glued it and then smeared the handle with glue and wrapped it tightly with para cord. it's drying now so i haven't tested it, but i doubt it will give me any more lip.

you could screw or daol it, but i wouldn't bother. i think the hemp/glue wrap will do it and then you wont have to hide the ugly signs of screwing or dowling.

i used techniglue, which i use for my glass bows and is something similar to smooth or the like. it is far stronger than the timber it is being used to hold together. mine lifted because the bow was a slight bend through the handle design, and was trying to pop the handle off. i have seen this a couple of times with glued on handles and surpose the pressures and ideas are the same for the stave bow.

good luck, i hope it can be resurrected!
Cape York, Australia

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »
Dang...that was a nice bow - good luck with the repair!

Love that idea, BTW, half eye!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

half eye

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 11:43:59 pm »
Fellas,
    that wrappin idea weren't mine....it's from a article in Popular Mechanics (1940) about building english long bows from lemonwood and american flat bows from boards. It works real slick though.
rich

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:12 am »
Fellas,
    that wrappin idea weren't mine....it's from a article in Popular Mechanics (1940) about building english long bows from lemonwood and american flat bows from boards. It works real slick though.
rich

i knew i heard that somewhere before
i used to have that saved on mhy computer(untill my drive crashed  :'( ) that was one of the very very first things i found on line on making my own bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 1ahBprimitive

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 02:56:59 pm »
it's hard to tell from the pics but it seems you could cut it in the middle of the handle and put a take down sleeve on it ??? not like i know what i'm talkin about  ;D
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Cacatch

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 03:09:35 pm »
What wood was it Kegan?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »
1ahBprimitive- I have a takedown I just finished that might actually fall vicitim to this very fate. How's that for irony :D?

Cacatch- it was hickory