Author Topic: Natural Recurve Hickory  (Read 2842 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Natural Recurve Hickory
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »
I recently just obtained a hickory stave. In the first few days of drying it took on a natural back set. The whole bow took on a recurve. When I lay the stave down on its back there is about an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch gap between the back of the stave and the ground. So I guess you can say it took on a 2 inch recurve. Is this bad or is this just going to make my bow shot harder? Is there any complications in tillering a bow with a natural recurve?

Offline walkabout

Re: Natural Recurve Hickory
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »
hickory sometimes does this, ive had a stave twist 45 degrees from center, as well as curving about 3 inches from the back. it wont hurt anything, as a matter of fact it will probably tiller out when you start building with it so i suggest you search for a caul design and heat some reflex into it anyway. the reflex will help offset the set or string follow that most bows gain during tillering. you could even leave the reflex stiff in the last bit of the tips and have a static recurve.

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to leave it the way it is. After tellering and shoting it will probably set straight....lol...hahah.ha.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
hickory has a tendency to take some set, even if you tiller carefully. i personally heated about 3 inches of reflex into my last hickory bow and it almost all came out except the tips that i left stiff.

Offline acker

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:01:58 am »
just to know what a reflex , setback is ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:44:14 am »
That's good; tiller away. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!