Author Topic: Arrow weight and hunting  (Read 2421 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Arrow weight and hunting
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:54:24 am »
Well I feel like i should re-introduce myself on here its been too long since ive posted but I've got a question....and only because i searched and I couldn't find the answer...Is it better to hunt with heavy or light arrows...I think heavy arrows will pack more of a punch but I would be losing some speed....Im going to be shooting my osage recurve "angelus Mortis" if anyone remembers the bow post....Im planning on shooting... aluminum arrows..I know tisk tisk...ive tried to make wood but i can't get the hang of it....the arrows I picked up are Easton XX75 2317  they run 13.3 grains per inch and i have them cut to 30 inches...that puts them at 399 grains plus 125 grain magnus snuffer ss points...which puts it at 524 grains....is that too heavy of an arrow for whitetail...the max distance I'll be shooting is 10-15 yards the way i have my stand set up....thanks in advance

-Kyler
GBR!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Arrow weight and hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:49:24 am »
That is about the weight I use,some use a lot heavier but I have found for me that is a good
mix,heavy enough and still pretty flat in hunting range.15/20 yards. Most of mine are 525/550.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:51 am »
I have  a neighbor I am making a BBO for and had him over to give the bow a test run. He brought the goldtips to shoots in the long bow as well as his wheel bow arrows for me to weigh. His longbow goldtips weighed 450gr, OK but a little light. The shocker was his wheel bow arrows only weighed 290gr. He is a bright guy (doctor) but thinks speed is everything. He has shot two or three elk with his wheel bow and lost all of them, unrecovered.

He also shot a doe last year with his longbow using 450 gr goldtips and lost her.

I shoot 550gr to 600gr arrows out of my selfbows, get great penetration and quick kills on the deer I shoot.

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
Pretty much what the other fellas said. I make my own from split hardwood so the shafts are pretty heavy by themselves....I draw 27" or a schosci bit less and my arrows are usually in the 700grn  range.....but like you, I limit my range to 15/18 yds max. Never any problem with the tragejectory, penetration is superior and the bow shoots quieter as arrow weight goes up.....your friend's wheelie is pretty close to dryfire condition and that will eventually catch up to the bow. Also the type of head you shoot counts quite a bit. With high weight 55-60 and up 2 or 3 blade probably not a lot of difference but especially with bows in the 40-55 range it's hard to beat 2 fixed blades as sharp as you can get them.....for the best penetration. JMO   sounds like your pretty much on the right track to me, especially with close range shooting and good placement.
Rich

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
You're biggest issue won't be the arrow's weight, but the diameter. Smaller diameter, better penetration. That's why hardwoods and *carbons* make nice hunting arrows. You can get them heavy, and stiff, but still small. You won't have any issues bringing a deer down with that set up, but if you ever wanted to start making your own or look into new arrows, just soemthing to think about :)