Author Topic: Applying heat to an osage selfbow  (Read 3483 times)

Offline ericw

Applying heat to an osage selfbow
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:57:11 am »
Working on my first attempt at an osage self bow. One limb has a little bit of a twist to it. I have read posts where guys use a heat gun and others where they steam the bow. What is better a dry heat or steam heat?

Offline Carle1953

Re: Applying heat to an osage selfbow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:28 am »
Some say to steam green wood and to use a heat gun on seasoned wood.  Myself I use a heat gun and have good luck.  Make sure you oil the stave before you heat it or you will scorch it.  I use olive oil and some use canola oil, your choice. Others have a lot more experience than I do, dry heat is what has worked for me.  Best of luck and just take your time.

Carle1953

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:15:57 am »
Osage responds very well to dry heat. I also use oil to prevent scorching but tempering(dry heat without oil) is also an option but that is another lesson!  ;)
  How much twist does your osage bow have? Twist is not necessarily a bad thing with wood bows. Pics would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:42 am »
If it is over 2 years old I use dry heat,if it is fresher than that I usually steam at least the first time.
I always seal with Polly or something before I steam,with dry heat I don't usually use anything unless it is a really bad bend. Just to tweak I don't use oil at all on Osage.I do with most white woods. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:59 am »
How many degrees of twist? I usually don't worry about it unless it approaches 40 degrees. Was the stave twisted or dod you cause the twist by uneven wood removal? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ericw

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:24 am »
George
It's not bad but noticable. I think it was from wood removal. Stave looked pretty straight when I started and even through rough cut out and beginning stage of tillering it was straight. This is my first attemp at a self bow and a learning process. Trying to soak up all I can. Thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »
eric, I figured that. If you caused it bow uneven wood removal then the better fix than heat is to remove wood from the other side. It will always twist towards the weak side. Remove from the other side. Did you string it already? More on my site. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:54 pm »
I use a heat gun on dry osage all of the time, to take out twist or excessive set or any irregularities or put in reflex.  You can also heat treat the belly using the heat gun.  I do not even use oil.  Just touch the wood from time to time to see how hot it is getting and brace in  your straightness or reflex with a caul and padded clamps.  Osage LOVES heat.