Author Topic: 1/4 sawn hickory?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
1/4 sawn hickory?
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »
 I was able to get a 1x4x12' true 1/4 sawn board today. After I rip it I'll loose 1/8th in. I think that will leave me 4 boards of 1x 1 15/16x 6' Is the 1 15/16th wide enough, Bend through handle, or make a handle for it? and it being 1/4 sawn. will it need backing?   I just bought a TBB4 today and I'm not sure if the answers are in it. Thanks y'all for the help

Josh.. Were you able to use that bamboo yet?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: 1/4 sawn hickory?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:10 pm »
Thats plenty of width...and don't worry about a Backing...1/4 sawn lumber aint going nowhere...it's about bulletproof...and idiotproof...too...just make sure there is no more than a few run-offs and you will be fine..the fewer...the better....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:00:41 pm »
Hillbilly,
      Those dimensions, and fully quartersawn to boot.....wow! Got to believe you can make about anything ya want to and probably get enough weight to give a gorilla a hernia. I've made them up to 75#, unbacked and the limbs were no where near 1" thick. It wasn't even hickory......whatever you make it ought to be a rocket launcher ;D
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:39 pm »
  The grain runs straight up and down. :) I could have bought one more (the last in the stack) of maybe 50 or 60 boards, but I wanted the TBB4. Had to choose. >:( I hope the other is still there next Friday ;D
   Maybe 1/16 offset from top to bottom. Is a Holmegaard design a good choice? Or should I stick with a pyramid design?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:52 pm »
you got four boards make both! either will work

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 12:37:53 am »
On 1/4 sawn the edge grain needs to be straight. No run offs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:46 am »
Hey did you go to Hardwoods Inc.  by the Shelby Co. airport to get that hickory? That's where I got my purpleheart and my yellowheart and my ipe from...  I haven't used the bamboo yet, but I already have a good idea on what I was gonna use it for.   I would make a bow outta some of the hickory but I think I would try and get some good backing strips out of it too.  Good luck and keep us posted on what you do with it man!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:36:15 am »
No Josh it was here in Mont. United Plywood. They have Maple, Hickory, Walnut, Mahogney, and some others I can't remember. I know it was like finding a gold mine ;D My "shop" is my side porch, and it's on the west side of the of the house. So the sun is beating right in when I get home >:(. I can't be in the heat all day and then come home to roast on the porch too. It's kept me from building for the last 3 weeks :(I to;d my wife that I was going through with drawls and was going to spread a tarp on the kitchen floor and scrap away :). She turned and gave me "The Look" But it was'nt a NO ;) ;D

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:45:19 am »
She turned and gave me "The Look" But it was'nt a NO ;) ;D

We've all been there  ;D  I get that look when I even think about that...and I don't even have to say anything  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
man ya'll are whipped
i can work on what i want where i want in the house(and yes i am married,22yrs now)

as long as i clean up after myself,and get the wifes permission first  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »
I'd cut that board into 1/8" backing strips, and get some osage. Hickory backed osage is my fav.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:40 pm »
adb...I have a couple osage boards and a few hickory backings., but this is the first hickory board I've gotten ahold of. But I am new at this so I hope the future holds alot more boards ov various species ;)

sailordad...most of the time I tell my wife what I'm going to do too...But the couch is starting to get worn out, and the doghouse fell apart last year :o  ;D