Author Topic: Bow Rack  (Read 2549 times)

Offline NTD

Bow Rack
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »
So I'm not allowed to put holes in my wall according to my lease.  I am wanting to make a free standing bow rack.  Has anyone done this or have any design ideas for me? 
Nate Danforth

Offline Brock

Re: Bow Rack
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:40:40 am »
A buddy had one as he lived in basement of house...he made a regular looking bow rack with 1x4 on edge with dowels sticking out perpindicular to the main boards...but for the feet he made them 2 feet on the front and only 6 inches on the back with a slight 2* rearward slant.  This allowed him to put it fairly close to the wall....the longer front part of feet kept it from wanting to tip with the 6 bows on it.....and the very slight rearward angle insured it was stable without affecting how bows set on the pegs to keep them flat and solid.

I will look for a pic if I can find it....been a few years.  Similar to some of the bicycle racks you see that lean against walls....with little to no rear feet but plenty out front to hold weight.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:20:38 am »
There's a piece of furniture, old type as in 1800s, that they make modern repros of. It's basically a chest or trunk and from the back rises two supports that usually hold a mirror and on the wood supports on either side are coat hooks. Find one of those, remove the mirror, replace the hooks with pegs, and add a crossbar at the bottom with holes drilled for arrows. The trunk can be used to hold hunting gear. They're called Hall Trees, in furniture parlance.
Living a dream...

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:28:26 am »
Thanks Guys.

Kevan, that Hall tree would be perfect, thanks, going to check craigslist for one of those.
Nate Danforth

Offline Brock

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:00:31 am »
I like that hall tree much better....nice!