Author Topic: problem with feathers cutting my hand when shooting  (Read 4403 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: problem with feathers cutting my hand when shooting
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:11:46 pm »
1mm might and might not affect it
however on another site where he has this exact same topic posted
some one suggested he move it .25",that will definatly afect the arrows flight from the bow ;)
that is why i responded on this site the way i did
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »
I said it is the nock, cause I have wrapped all my flechtings, so that the feather keel can't cut in my hand. I have these problem, if I nocked to low (that happens some times because I'm shooting without nockpoint).

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »
I had exactly the same prob for years, until someone explained to raise the nock a whisker, it just means the arrow leaves the bow with it's tail slighty high so it misses your hand. (It soon straigtens up) It's good to know that after 30 odd years we can still learn.
I'd previously solved the problem by using an old leather glove with the fingers and thumb cut off except for about 1/2" and a nice load of wax melted onto the knuckle.. it looks pretty good too, sort of rugged...ok the rhinstones are a bit kisch ::) and maybe I should loose the Fedora?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »
Del..........ain't nuthin wrong with a Fedora........... ;D

and raising the Nocking Point an eighth of an inch makes a world of difference too...

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline colejack3

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 03:52:54 pm »
hey  nice buck.   Ya Im going to put on a glove.   Also If its raining outside would it be ok for me to add the finish in the garage? Or would I be locking in to much mousture?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 03:56:59 pm »
Thanks....just got Him back from the Taxidermist two weeks ago....He looks good on My Bedroom Wall...... :P

If your wood is dry....straight out of an Air Conditioned House ...or Hot Box...the Moisture in the Air out in the Garage will not Hurt the Bow...the Finish will dry in 30 minutes to an hour....go for it...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »
Skyve and wrap the leading edge. Should be fine. If it were a nock point issue the arrow would bounce of your hand and then you'd really shoot off your knuckle. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 12:00:45 am »
I think some info above is correct not for every bow u need a rest I love shhooting off of my hand so to speak make some adjustments is the cock vein running directly over your hand also as mention simply try raising the arrow up or dropping ur hand slightly.  When in doubt then Id put a simple rest.  Post some pics

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline colejack3

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:31 am »
Wait so how much should I move the nocking point up from where the arrow usually should go. Like if I have the arrow exactly straight from the arrows nock to my knuckle how much do I need to move up the arrow nock?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:22 pm »
I set my nocking point 1/4" higher in the rear...them watch the way they fly...and hit...to see if they are hitting tail high or not...usually end up between 1/8" to 1/4" high at the nock when finished...but I am here to tell you...and the guys at Twin Oaks can attest to it....There is No Surer Way to Prevent This...Than to Make Sure that there are No Sharp Edges Showing on the Leading Edge...I about tore a Hole all the way to my Knuckle 2 years ago there...with a set of Arrows that I did not Gnurl and wrap the edge of the Feathers...and let me tell you...shooting the Course with a torn up Hand was no Fun....Pappy showed Me what to do...and no problems since....good luck...and sorry about the Rambling...too many night shifts...and no time off.... :P
2024...We Will Overcome