Author Topic: Maple backed cherry in Progress  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Maple backed cherry in Progress
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:10 am »
Ken-thank you for the tips on rounding back and handle.Thank you sir for the wood work judgement the glue is drying as we speak ;D  :D  added some lams to the back at the handle for a bit of insurance.i couldnt stand the thought of letting it sit.so much potential!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:51 am »
make sure your back pieces end before the fades end or they will pull up .remember back lams need to be inside the fades on a nonbending part

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 12:37:51 am »
i laid em fade end to fade end and planned on workin em down to the thickest part of both fades.didnt get the best 45 joint on my splice but i think it will hold. got it together but i got my limb too narrow and it started chrysalling.I think i have it figured out and have another glued up.We'll see if my wider design will work ;) Heres some pics of splice chrysals and tips.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:31:13 am by Thwackaddict »

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:21 am »
I glued in some deflex with this one and I am goin to leave the limbs 1 7/8 at fades taperin to 13/8 mid limb then to 1/2 at tips.Hopefully will have better outcome than last one.Bottom limb still holdin up so i guess this one will start my corner of shame until i have a brainstorm!!

Southwest,VA

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 03:06:50 am »
I'm not so sure about what kind of failure you had.  Sure the back is broke, but there are compression fractures on the belly, too.  Who's to say which came first?  Either one could precipitate the other.  My two cents based on one of my failed cherry bows is that reflexing the handle is a bad idea.  You're asking a wood that likes to chrysall in compression to bend even further to get to your draw.  FWIW, my advice would be to deflex the handle and put your reflex in from mid-limb out to the tips.  Sweet handle, BTW.  When you nail it, it's gonna be both a looker and a killer!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:31 am »
Zen- the back let go on the upper limb on my first attempt so i spliced another on it and the belly chrysalled this time.This was my first glue up attempt and i reflexed whole bow.I got another glued up with a bit of deflex and i'm goin to widen the limbs a bit.Thanks for the handle compliment.What are your thoughts on some short static tips?Think it would help or hurt the cherry?I'm backin with maple by the way.Thanks
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:09:46 am by Thwackaddict »

Southwest,VA

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 11:04:10 pm »
I'm flattered that you're asking me, but I've never made or really researched laminated bows yet, so I can't really make an opinion on maple as a backing for cherry.  I do know that static tips will sweeten the draw (low stack), but like reflex will concentrate more bending on less limb.  If you're having problems with chrysalling, better to play it safe and use the whole limb for bending.

The chrysalling could also be a result of a tension strong wood overpowering a weaker belly wood.  If you "trap" the back, there will be less maple to resist stretching, so it will be less inclined to crush the cherry.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:16 am »
Zen your flattery is well deserved as obviously you have more experience with cherry and brought some really good points to my attention.I had never thought about trapping the back,believe i'll give that a go.I think I'm askin too much of the cherry in my design,what ur thoughts about just slightly flippin tips and not reflexin at all?

Southwest,VA