Author Topic: Duplex Nail Challenge  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Diligence

Duplex Nail Challenge
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:36:11 am »
Okay folks, here's the challenge:

"Make up some sort of small game point based on the use of duplex nails.  The head/point should be a real small game stopper."

Perhaps the addition of a washer behind the point, bleeder, blunt or maybe something else, but post your results including all the details (measurements, grain, diameter, whatever) including a photo - who knows, we might be able to create the next "slap chop" phenomenon.   ;D

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Barrage

Re: Duplex Nail Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:31:02 pm »
ooo, I got one for you.  I'll try to take a picture in the next few days.  Duplex point with an antler blunt with bike spoke prongy-thingies, sort of like a judo point.  I actually made a couple for you too so you can try them out... :)
Travis

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »
is there a deadline i want in on this :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:01:40 am »
Nope no deadline at all.

I'm off on vacation to SK tomorrow, but back in a week Travis.

Maybe I can invent something in between beers...lol

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
I've got a couple of ideas for this.  Time to head to the hardware store....
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Barrage

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »
Ok, here they are.  They weigh in at ~180-185 grains.  They are made from antler, a duplex nail (~85 grain nail, forget the size right now, maybe 2.5" long), and bike spokes.  Drill the hole for the nail, then drill the holes at a bit of an angle for the bike spokes (or finishing nails - whatever you got).  I used epoxy to glue them all together.  I haven't shot anything with this duplex version yet, but the version below on the wood arrow (last pic) stops gophers in their tracks right now so the duplex, extra pointy version, should really get it done.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Travis

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
That's slicker than a greased eel turd.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »
That's slicker than a greased eel turd.

and das purdy slick sha!  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »
I think if any small game just "SEES" one of those points it will stop them.  ;D
Very original, and very scary looking
Chuck S.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »
I had to give this a shot. I used some 16 ga. galvanized sheet metal I had laying around. Pictures below, also did a quick video.
Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFt-Mtv1WOw

Chuck S.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 06:55:16 pm »
Nice Bushbow.  Ninja death star blunts!  ;D  Great idea; you need to go shoot those around and let us know how they hold up to abuse.  225 grains should leave a wallop. :o
Travis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19:09 pm »
I think I'd put a wrap around the shaft just below the point. The leverage when you hit the ground(or whatever) could split the shaft.
  Both of these heads will scare the rabbits or squirrels to death. All you will need to do is go into the woods and they will roll over dead!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC