Author Topic: what causes string follow....  (Read 8514 times)

Offline billmac

what causes string follow....
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:48:11 am »
besides the wood being too moist?  (do I mean set?  are the terms interchangeable?)

Thanks

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: what causes string follow....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:30:06 am »
Some of the other things that can cause it: uneven tiller, bow too narrow/short for weight, pulling the bow past its intended weight while tillering, pulling the bow too far during tillering with uneven tiller, and mainly,the laws of physics (wood will naturally take some set, if you start with a straight stave, you're going to end up with some follow unless you reflex it to compensate.) Don't worry too much about it unless it's excessive, some follow is normal and doesn't hurt a thing. Notice in the TBB that Baker describes bows with 1 1/2" of string follow as well-designed and efficient. If you get several inches of follow, it will hurt performance a good bit, but doesn't mean that the bow isn't a shooter. I believe Rod Parsons used to win a bunch of matches or tournaments in England with a bow with about 3" of string follow. Most of the bows you see on here that have the tips even with or ahead of the handle were forced into reflex before tillering. This can increase arrow speed, but can also make the bow less stable and make it a bitch to tiller if it has a bunch of reflex.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:35:53 am »
PS-we often use the terms "set" and "string follow" interchangeably, but technically, they are a bit different. Set is the amount of difference between the stave before and after tillering. A bow that started with 6" of reflex and ended up with 3" of reflex has taken 3" of set. String follow is usually a result of set, defined as the distance that the tips of the finished bow lie behind the handle. A bow that started with 2" of reflex and wound up with the tips an inch behind the handle has taken 3" of set, but only has an inch of string follow  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:23:12 am »
Well said, Steve.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 02:32:13 pm »

Steve, I didn't know that distinction between the two...thanks! Now would the term "deflex" apply to a predetermined design intention of deflexing the limbs to be followed by recurved tips? I had always thought of "deflex" in the same light as "set" and "string-follow".
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:37:12 pm »
Greg, deflex would not really apply to either.  It can be deflexed and have no string fallow because it was designed that way, not caused by use or tiller. And if it is R/D it could still have the tips in front of the  handle so there would be no set. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »
      Hillbilly said it pretty good, just compressing wood beyond it's elastic limit causes set. Not using enough wood for a design, concentrating the bend in too small of an area. Bracing a bow that is still too strong. Steve

davkt

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 03:33:43 pm »
I've also noticed that on the odd occasions I've used kiln dried timber the string follow is more pronounced than air dried staves of the same sort of wood.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 05:08:40 pm »
I've also noticed that on the odd occasions I've used kiln dried timber the string follow is more pronounced than air dried staves of the same sort of wood.
I could be mistaken, but I think the real reason is not the kiln. I think it has more to do with us not knowing the quality of the wood and designing the bow to match. When a tree is cut down for a bow, it is usually good quality wood.  When it is cut for lumber, it was cut because it was there.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 06:34:51 pm »
Well said hillbilly.  A very good summation.

J. D.