Author Topic: HHB instead of Hickory  (Read 3229 times)

Offline osage outlaw

HHB instead of Hickory
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:21:29 am »
A former boss of mine invited me to come and cut down a hickory tree that lost its top in a storm.  When we got to the tree, it was next to his power lines.  I am not very experienced in cutting trees and didn't feel comfortable with the situation.  He promised to get a relative to take it down for me sometime soon.  I guess he didn't want me to leave empty handed, so he went into his garage and came out with a HHB log.  He said that it had been there 8 or 9 years.  I took it home and split it in half.  It is 75" long and 5" wide.  It split even down the middle.  I would like to make two bows, one for me and one for him.  I was wanting to have a stiff handle on each and aim for 50# on one and 60# on the other, both 27" draw length.  Does anyone have any suggestions for length and limb width?  Can I remove the outer bark and use that as the back of the bow?  I really like the flipped tips on Josh's HHB bow.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: HHB instead of Hickory
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:20 am »
Oh you lucky guy. Those are beautiful HHB staves. Really straight for HHB. My last one was 66" long and ran 1-5/8" wide to mid limb then tapered down to 7/16" wide at the tips. HHB is a top whitewood. And yes take a dull drawknife and slowly take the bark off and use that right under the bark for your back. I would like to try for an Elb one of these days out of a good HHB stave. Dean

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:23 am »
Man those staves look like they will both make excellent bows!  ...those demensions that Dean mentioned are perfect.  Good luck on your bows!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18:46 am »
Those are nice looking staves. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »
what about halving those again...looks like enough wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:20 pm »
My thoughts too aznboi! I would split each half in half. Four staves of well seasoned HHB are better than two.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:19:35 am »
Do you really think that there is enough wood to split them again?  4 staves would be better than 2, as long as they are big enough.  Should I try to split them again, or should I try to cut them in half with a circular saw?   Thanks for the advice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 01:25:52 am »
If it split straight the first time it should split straight again. Start your split in the center of the stave and work out towards each end. That way usually splits straighter with less chance of run offs. Try one and make a bow from one of those splits. If that doesn't work for you make a bow from the original split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:46:34 am »
nice looking staves
i have some hhb staves that look exactly like them
wait a minute,you didnt hit my wood stash while ive been on vacation have ya?   lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:06:01 am »
Dang!  Busted ;D

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:15 am »
Osage go ahead and take the bark off of the halves and if the grain underneath looks straight I believe I would just take the saw to them and cut them down the middle. Plenty of wood there if the log is 5" across. Dean

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
I must be greedy, because I see four bows in that wood. :D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:29:27 pm »
 There is four bows easy in that piece of wood. Look at the short HHB bow I posted, "little bit". It is just over an inch wide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?