Author Topic: how sharp?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline bubby

how sharp?
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:38:58 pm »
I'm just starting knapping and was wondering, how sharp do ya keep you're presher flaker's, made an ishi stick, some boppers and a horseshoe nail flaker watched some youtube's of paleomanjim and practicalprimitive, but they didn't address this area, any help is welcome, thank's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: how sharp?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:45 am »
Copper pressure flakers tend to work better for me if they are fairly sharp.  Don't make them too sharp or they'll wear down too fast.  If the flaker is too dull, it won't grip as well and you won't be able to direct flakes to run as far.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:10:27 am »
I try to keep mine about like a dull pencil point.
Steve

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:01:25 am »
Thank's guy's, that's what I needed to know, one more newbie ?, I've been cutting obsideion blanks on my tile saw, it's only $1.00 lb, cut them about 1/4" thick, is that ok or should they be a little thicker, thank's  Bub

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:59 am »
I use a couple of Ishi sticks with different sized copper in each end.  This allows four different points.  A round but a little rough point for hard material and larger dia.  For the obsidian at 1/4" thickness you mentioned you need a sharper point.  Since the copper can be extended I use a flat file to shape it and when the filling is done I give it a couple of whacks on the point with the file to give it a biting edge.  One of the points is small (1/8") and tapered to allow for starting nocks as in an Ishi point.  Works for me.  For shaping a preform or making platforms in tough material I pound the copper on an anvil making a four sided point.  That will make even cold drawn copper even tougher.  This is only my opinion and you will find out what works for you.  A/ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:02:15 am »
thank's for the help guy's, I'll take you're advise and see how it go's, Bub

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
wolf watcher, I used some #4 copper ground wire put it in a vise and spun it with a drill, stiffened it up,what other size wire do I need to get, Bub