Author Topic: Proof our ancestors were NOT stupid  (Read 7588 times)

paganwannbe

Re: Proof our ancestors were NOT stupid
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
the guy talking says like Captain "Hawkeye" Pierce from M*A*S*H

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 03:39:13 am »

Pagan, it is because it is.  It is Alan Alda narrating...... ;)

Wayne

Offline gilbarbarian

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:45 am »
there is no such thing as a caveman, just men who may have lived in caves.  there has never been any proof either

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 10:54:05 am »

I am sure that just like our more modern ancestors, the prehistoric person took what shelter, appealed to him, when and where available.  I am sure that they made some form of shelter, and not just hunkered down in the elements, if there was not a cave available.  There were only so many caves available.  Even the great apes make a nest, so it is not too far fetched to "assume" a human being who was capable of making tools, and hunting, and fire making, could at least make a rudimentary shelter.  I mean who knows how long man has been making thatched huts, wigwams, tipi's, etc.  All evidence is long gone.  Here in Fla. when I was in Jr. High School, a Friend of mine showed me a find he found, across the road from the dairy he lived on.  We found bleached stone flakes, fossilized fish bones, and he had some arrow heads,he also showed me where he had dug down about three feet, and found cypress pole remnants, in a semi circle, and not just one set, but several.  Like a village.  There is a large lake nearby.  Unfortunately, the area was soon bulldozed over, and a housing development went in.  Ah, such is progress.  But I too, get very upset with the History Channel, or other programs, that depict a band of paleolithic people with crooked sticks, and chunks of rock wrapped on the end with big strips of leather.  Oh yeah, that is what our ancestors used to survive, and to eventually become "us", the modern, "Intelligent" being.  Uh huh, yep.......that's how it all happened. ::)  I just wished when they did a program like that they would get the "artistic licensing guy" out of there, and just get someone who is knowledgeable about stone tools, Straightening spear, atlatal, and arrow shafts, etc. and making of primitive clothing.  The American Indian, was an expert at carpentry, and joinery.  There are Bonnet boxes made of wood, that were fitted together, and sewn, or wrapped.  But the fitting looked like it was made with modern tools, instead of the stone adz, notched blade, and beaver tooth knives.  Labor intensive, and time consuming, but the Indian, didn't have a time schedule.  Yeah, the prehistoric man wasn't as smart, or adaptable as modern man......in a lot of ways he was smarter.  Simple logic.  You were responsible for your own actions, you either learned from your mistakes, or you didn't make it after the second one.  Note to self, don't use a rock on a saber tooth, use a spear!  Of course that is how some people believe that Vegetarians got started......those that couldn't throw a big rock well, or make a decent spear. ;D  Anywho, it seems that very few if any programs, are interested in actual facts, but more interested in conjectured artistic fantasies. :(

Wayne