Author Topic: Any grape growers out there?  (Read 2752 times)

Offline KShip85

Any grape growers out there?
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »
Alright, I need some help from anyone who might know anything about grapes.  I have 9 grape vines and somethings killing the grapes on the vine.  The vines are loaded with grapes and then the just die and fall off.  Last year I lost the whole crop.  Please help if ya can!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Stoker

Re: Any grape growers out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:44:18 pm »
You may have a fungus.Had a similair problem with a apple tree.They have all natural fungusieds work pretty good
good luck
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
Those bulls eye spots generally mean fungus. When you find out what works, let me know!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.  Did a little search and looks like I am best off taking care of the area in the fall winter by removing infected grape mummies and vines.  Might try spraying...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:29 am »
GregB use to raise a lot of grapes,maybe he will chime in. All I do is eat them. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:49:19 am »
If memory serves me correct, that's called Blue Rot and is a fungus. At the point your pictures were taken, you probably won't be able to salvage this year's crop. Next spring just prior to the buds opening up, you'll need to spray with a fungiside. I don't remember any particular names, but it will tell you on the label what fungus's it will work on. You'll need to spray at least every couple of weeks as the grapes mature. Probably could stop as they start ripening. Read the directions for frequency of spraying or if you have a Farmer's Co-op, they should be able to give some help.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:59:18 am »
thanks again, I was afraid of that too.  guess I will just try to get them pruned and weeded and what not this fall/winter and give it a go again next year.  I am really craving these things after my first crop two years ago...best grape juice I have ever had.  If I can get a decent crop I would not mind trying my hand at making wine...I know my brother in law is interested if I get a good one.  Thanks again all!

Kip