Author Topic: Crock Culture  (Read 1908 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Crock Culture
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:03 pm »
A month or so ago Recurve Shooter's Grandpa brought me a huge cabbage.  I dug back on the storage shelf and got one of my dear old Mom's crocks and made sourkraut.   I'd be betting safely if I said i had the only crock of kraut going in Louisiana at that time.   Not so much German influence here as there was in Wisconsin.  It turned out good.  In fact, it was GREAT. 

Today, i dragged out the next size bigger crock and started a batch of real by-golly cured dill pickles as my garden cukes are running away with the place.  No vinegar, no alum.....etc.   Just washed the cukes and the crock, added dill seed and some garlic (and one jalepeno) and salt water.  In ten days or so I should be in dill pickle heaven ( if they ferment like they should). 

Anybody else here make home-fermented foods?  The beer will come later in the Fall when it cools down a little. 

piper

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Crock Culture
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:38:42 am »
I've never heard of this no-vinegar method of pickling... Tell me more?  How is it done?  Is there a specific recipe you follow?  How many pickles does it take to get drunk?  :P
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: Crock Culture
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:47:47 am »
Check out a book called "Joy Of Pickling". It has everything you want to know. True fermented pickles taste a LOT better than vinegar pickles. If you can't ferment your own, look for Bubbie's brand pickles. They're fermented in brine. Most natural foods stores have Bubbies. (Bubbies also makes some out-friggin'-standing sauerkraut.)
Living a dream...