Author Topic: Cougar Habits  (Read 4174 times)

Offline broken arrow

Cougar Habits
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »
I live in central Vancouver Island , British Columbia , and would like to ask a question that concerns Cougars.
  My friend that lives in Cumberland , about 5 miles from where I live in Courtenay just returned from his cabin on the beach 15 miles north of Campbell River . He has a friend that lives near his cabin with his wife and 2 dogs . They live there full time and were walking the beach above the high tide mark in the last 3 days . They came across 3 seals that were stached and partially covered with leaves and small branches on day 1 .  The next day they go back to vist this interesting cache of partially eaten seals only to find that the cache now contained 2 doe deer as well as the 3 seals . They visited this site again yesterday , Saturday, only to find the cache was gone . They carry no protection whatsoever and were leary in trying to find the food cache and where the Cougars might have relocated it .
  Cougars are very prevalent in the area but neither of us knew that Cougars killed seals or that they hoarded ther kills into one location .
  If there are any readers out there familiar with these Cougar habits ,we would sure like to hear what others have to say .
Thanks,

Broken Arrow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Cougar Habits
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:17 pm »
Sounds a little strange to me. I have seen several deer in a general location, but not really together and usually wont kill more than one every four or five days to a week. I have seen them kill an entire herd of sheep at one time but they just kill them and leave them where they lay. What about tracks? If it was lion/cougar there would be a lot of tracks that would give the identity away.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:35 am »
I agree with Justin...sounds weird to me too. I'm not a big cat expert but know that most of the cats do cover their kill. I don't know why they would kill more than they could eat in one location. Doesn't seem natural.
 Could it be poachers stashing game as they get it then removing the lot all at once?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:22 am »
Seen plenty of Cougar Kills...they either drag it up a Tree...or cover it with Grass and debris...never seen one kill more than one at a time though...sounds kinda funny to me also Pat...sounds like thrill Killers...or Poachers...not a Cat...or Cats
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:31:09 am »
Good spot for a trail cam!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:10 am »
I will try to get more details .  Sounsd like a conservation officer should investigate . We are going to contact a local hunting website to get their reaction . As you say it sounds pretty weird and that is how we feel .

Winston

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:15:57 pm »

Hi ,
Several hunters in this Province find this caching of kills interesting and here is what they think.

Only in the last few years have Grizzley Bears started showing up on Vancouver Island . We have always had lots of Black Bears but seldom to never for the Grizzley .  I personally see black Bears 1 or 2 times per week but I am in the forest often with my bow and bear spray. They think that it is a Grizzley that steals the killings of the Cougar. All the bear has to do is follow the Cougar around and the Cougar knows when it has met it's match .

People in the area of this caching have seen 2 adult Cougars on several occasions as well as cougar screams around their travel trailer . A mature grizzley was spotted last year with a cub and a male has be sighted within 15 miles of this area recently . There have been 2 confirmed shooting of Grizzley in Port Hardy which is located on the north part of the island. This area is more central island.
I wonder iif anyone from Alaska or the northern part of mainland British Columbia could enlighten us a bit .

Thanks,
Winston

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:48:21 am »
That is really interesting,    and quite a puzzle.

Would be amazing if the grizzly were starting to make an impact and be on the island permanently .

keep us informed,  if you learn more
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »
Sasquatch
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »
 My first thought was a Grizzly. They are known for burying there kill in debris.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:07:31 pm »
JW took the word right out of my mouth. Sasquatch.   Cougar will "bury" a kill under leaves and such.  But I've not heard of them making multiple kills and creating a larder.  "Martha, pass me a haunch of seal; I'm feeling a bit peckish."
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 12:39:05 am »
hey kenh, did you get my messages?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:31:51 am »

I'm with Eddie, and why do those people not carry any protection?  It isn't just the four legged predators you have to watch out for.  I hope they are not like the granola head that was photographing bears in Alaska, and gave them cute little pet names, like fluffy, etc., and one of his  bear family ate him, and his girlfriend!  He didn't believe in carry any protection either.  If I can't go armed, I don't go.  In Montana even the Wildlife officers will tell you to go armed, and don't reccomend roaming the mountains, and woods unarmed.

Wayne

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 12:21:24 am »
That guy that got his girlfriend and himself killed and eaten by grizzlies also got the bears he loved killed as part of that bargain. The game and fish there killed those bears. They have to do it when a human attack happens. That's why wild animals are cute and all that, but they're not pets and they're not entertainers. Humans that love animals get them killed by doing these things. That guy's camcorder was on while that attack happened, by the way. The officials wouldn't release the tape. They should. I bet it would convince most wanna-bes to leave bears alone.
Living a dream...