Author Topic: Finally got another one  (Read 2566 times)

Offline n2everythg

Finally got another one
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:22 am »
Still beating on that glass buttes rock I brought back from OR.
Stuck on clovis' right now... but dont have a clue why.

finally got a chance to try another this weekend. Flutes are kinda shallow but not too bad. ended up getting doubles on both of them.

setup wasnt really perfect but they worked.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

Re: Finally got another one
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:48 am »
Quit posting pics of such ugly points that don't require any skill to make!!    ;)
Marietta, Georgia

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:53 am »
Looking good!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:30 am »
looking good dude.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:28:19 pm »
Nice points,I get the flutes on both sides about 1 in 10 attempts, (you know what the other 9 look like).Congratulations ! (Love that clear banded material).
 My wife and I was down at the buttes this last weekend,found alot of good stone and got alot of sore muscles,found a new deposit of mahogany with alot of very bright orange in it,ended up lugging it back to the truck about a mile,found a road yesterday that got us within a qaurter mile of it and got a bunch more.Picked up some nice big flakes of dacite that were in the refuse piles at the knap-in site. Beautiful down there right now with all the wildflowers blooming.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »
cool points
bryan irwin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »
 Looks like you are geting it, Wade.

I don't understand why you are beating on that Ob's when you have all that perfectly, good, concreteish Man rock? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:54 pm »
Nice one Wade! I make sand out of obsidiam :-[
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »
damn Wade...that's a beauty.  I was on lithiccastinglab.com and under their "Recent Additions" section they have a pic of an authentic Clovis that looks almost exactly like yours.  It's black, but has some small streaks of brown just like yours.....it's crazy how much they look alike.  They did obsidian source analysis on it and confirmed that the obsidian used in the real Clovis also came from Glass Buttes.  On the authentic one there were some scratch marks on the base of the flutes on both sides to roughen up the surface so it wouldn't slide so much in the haft.  I swear your point and the original could be twins....separated by 12,000 years!!  great job buddy!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:33:52 am »
Cool billy. Will have to go out there and try to find a pic of that one. I have been wanting to order some casts off that lab.
I think that is the thing I am struggling with the most right now. I make a biface and dont know what to do with it. Wanna replicate something but dont have enough pics or books or know what to make. Was hoping I wasnt too far off from a replication.

Shannon, I know - that obsidian takes a much lighter touch to flake. the darn flakes just about fall off if you flick em. Im still making sand and crushing platforms all the time seems like.

Eddie -
Well I got some he man rock from TX that is harder than concrete and grainier than a brick that I just finished heating.... Might have to switch and see if I can knock on out of that..... gonna be tough after working a bunch of glass for a while.... But I will attempt to pound one out just for you.
Ha.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »
Looks good Wade! I've yet to hit on that piece of obs you gave me but it's still sitting in the bucket beckoning ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »
dont listen to billy..he just wants to move back to oregon..LOL...that is some great work..i dont think i have ever tryed a clovis before..john

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:48:58 pm »
Nice work, Wade!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.