Author Topic: Hickory D/R Bow  (Read 5041 times)

Offline DirtyDan

Re: Hickory D/R Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:16 pm »
Wolgen,  I understand your reservations about posting pictures of your bows, and Rainman's bad experience should not discourage you.  Hillbilly is right:  there is always somebody who likes to point out little peculiarities when they see a bow.  You built the bow, you know it functions well, you know it is good looking and we appreciate your sharing it with us.
Dan Spier

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 02:18:57 pm »
The grain is dandy on the stave. The runoff is on the backing, but mainly at the one tip, where there is little stress. It doesn't run off all the way through either. I'm not worried. Guess I shouldn't have bothered posting. Live and learn...
I'll pull the post and be on my merry way soon as I figger out the procedure. All the best.

I love seeing.  Makes me want to build one.  You did great.
Westminster, MD

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »
I like it,  tiller looks great, 

If it's been pulled a couple hundred times,  then it seems like a sound shooter to me.   shoot it love,  and make more.

nice work.
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »
Jeez Wolgen, sorry.  I'm a rookie and trying to learn as much as I can.  Ive made 3 bows from red oak boards.  That's all.  I've never had any experience with hickory yet.  I just found it strange that the "how-to's" told me not to do exactly what you did, yet somehow you made a shooter out of it.  I'm in awe.

I wasn't critiquing you, I was looking for an explanation on how and why it works.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:07:16 pm by Rain Man »

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
It works because, despite how it appears in a picture on-line, it's NOT a true violation. And because it's Hickory.

Had it out today spitting  12 grain/inch arrows out with authority I'd smile upon from a 'glass lam bow. And no death and destruction by flying hickory splinters was inflicted upon humanity  ;)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »
looks like a cool bow to me!  Nice work
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

half eye

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
Hey Wolgen,
       Most every body knows I make self bows, also made my share of backed bows.....that is a fine bow you have there. It bends , it shoots, and launches those heavy arrows (I'm a fan of them as well, only heavier) If I can give you some advice ....keep doing what ya like, use what ya got, and use your head, just like you have been doing, cause it shows in your work.
Rich

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 01:59:29 am »
how about Del's ash backed cherry...I love the looks of the grain violations and the wood still bends.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Del_the_Cat/Website%20stills/ACback.jpg

Offline Barrage

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
Nice bow!

Travis

Offline wildman

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »
love it shoot it if it breaks do it all over again. hickory is a friend of mine seldom lets me down and I have built a few with scary grain. I really like your bow looks great tillered well if you like it and it shoots good nothing else matters ;D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

bowkee

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
sure like those nice bows :)

Offline gothmog

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:55 pm »
I don't believe anyone was picking at ya either.  Just curious and musing out loud.  I for one think it looks like a fine weapon, and excellent tiller.  Nice job.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:44:51 am »
Wolgen, Your bow looks real good, and you should be proud of your work.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 12:14:09 pm »
Good looking bow,tiller looks great and finish work in very nice.Don't know anything about a backed
bows so if say it's all good ,thats good enough for me.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:07 pm »
That sure is a nice bow!
Frank from Germany...