Author Topic: Appropriate Arrow Weight for a 65# Recurve  (Read 7509 times)

dante76

Appropriate Arrow Weight for a 65# Recurve
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »
I purchased some Traditional Only arrows and a test kit that included 6 different types of field points but not quite certain which would give the best results. Not quite sure what i should be looking for. The arrows are fletched and weight approx. 344 grains. My field point test kit came with 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 & 250 grain field points. Some where i heard that the basic rule of thumb is 5 grains for every pound of bow weight (5 x 65 ?).

Can anyone give me a suggestion on which field point would likely yield the best result? Or maybe where the best starting point would be? I would rather not test all these points if I had the choice. Thank you so kindly.

~Chris

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Appropriate Arrow Weight for a 65# Recurve
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »
 What is the spline of the arrow and length? Is it Port Orford Cedar or cane or ????
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

dante76

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »
it's a carbon. spine weight is 300 (easton arrow).

dante76

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »
forgot to mention arrow length, 29.5"

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »
if i understand you right you have a few fletched shafts at various spines (35-40lbs ; 40-45lbs ; 45-50 lbs) , and a few points at various weights you listed. Also i'm assuming your bow is "normal" 60-70 inches and 35-50 lbs draw weight..

i guess the short answer is "it doesn't matter" ( within reason) just find any combo that seems to work and stick with it. The shaft spine should match the bow draw weight, in general.
but... well, one other option is to match the point weight to the weight of the hunting point you will be using, if you will be hunting... 500 grains is a pretty standard hunting weight arrow, so you could go for the 150's cos that would bring the total near 500.
otherwise it probably doesn't matter much which point you use because once you find the shaft spine that goes with whatever one you choose, you'll be fine.
200 and 250 grain points sound way to heavy for most setups.
...or did you mean that all your shafts are spined the same and you have various points to test- if so , just start with the 100's and work up till you find what works.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
spine weight 300 does not compute.... it should be something like 40-45 lbs. 
you may have to move this to another section 'cos it deals with carbon arrows.
most of us myself included know little of carbon arrows.,,, but the same principles apply
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »
ok i just looked up the shafts you got.... and i see that they DO list the "spine" in #'s like 200, 300, .
not sure how these correspond to "our" way of measurung in lbs....
but anyway, you can just go with something like a 150 grain point and test all the shafts that way- it's bound to work with one of 'em.
some will seem to shoot left, some will shoot more right -find the one in between!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:50:10 pm »
hes right on the carbon spine thing
i have some eastons that are 400's
i personaly dnt understand the whole carbon arrow thing(even though i do buy them)
i just tell the giy at the shop what im shooting and what weight of heads and what arrows i like  and he tells me whick onesi need for my wheelie thingy

as far as the points for the arrows for your recurve,no clue/
i just make em and shoot them.once iget used to the new arrow i just shoot them and hope they hit where i am aiming ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

dante76

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 01:30:28 am »
Thanks Aaron & SailorDad! I'll start with the 150's and see how they work.

Being a novice, i really needed to hear some thoughts from experience archers.

thanks a million!