Author Topic: Board Bows  (Read 9393 times)

Offline pbbow

Board Bows
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:22 am »
Hello everybody! I have a question about building a board bow. I've seen many people have made bows from Red Oak boards, Hickory boards too. But, what other hardwoods can you build a bow with? I'm looking to build a simple Long Bow style for my first bow. I was just wondering if I had options. Maybe a nice piece of Maple or Ipe? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You. ;D

Offline NTD

Re: Board Bows
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:32:25 am »
Most hardwoods can make a bow.  Maple included.  Ipe can make a selfbow but it can be tough to find one with grain well enough to do so, but it has been done, recently by Ken75. 

You might do yourself a favor and purchase the Traditional Bowyer's bibles 2 and 4.  TBB2 has an entire chapter on board bows and 4 has a pretty extensive list of woods and their properties as bow wood.  There are a bunch of build-a-longs on this site, check them over and once you dive in you'll have plenty of people here to help you along the way.  Good luck and have fun.
Nate Danforth

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:29 am »
Hi Folks,  Ipe can make decent selfbows.  I've made 3 or 4.  Unfortunately all of mine have started lifting splinters on the back, though one waited 10 years and thousands of shots before starting to fall apart.  I think ipe works best as a backed bow. 
Ash can make a decent longbow.  The grain is very easy to see, so sorting through the stacks is quick.  I 've forgotten the website, but one bowyer in Britain had a webpage showing how he made warbows out of ash lumber.  He chased a ring with a angle grinder and then had a regular stave.
 I'm still looking for a red cedar board with clean enough grain to make an unbacked bow.  As Nate mentioned the TBB series has some excellent info on board bows.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline pbbow

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:13 am »
I am looking into getting those book that you've mentioned. This is all new to me. I must admit that I shoot a compound bow at the moment. But Traditional Archery has begun to take a hold of me and I'm looking for something to keep me occupied over the winter. But, thank you for the comments added so far. I've been all over the Internet trying to find out as much as I can about bow building.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:37 pm »
Well you've come to the right place.  I've never had the pleasure of talking to a more friendly and helpful bunch than these guys here.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:42:00 pm »
I agree with Josh, I would however buy the whole set of Traditional Bowyers Bible.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:47 am »
Hey PB,
     I make nearly all my bows from quartersawn boards. I use Northern Michigan (local) woods and have made self bows from Wht oak, red oak, ash, black ash, black walnut, hard maple, red elm. My favorites are the walnut,red Elm, maple, and both ash's. 2 others that I have not tried as of yet are Blasck Locust, and Hornbeam ( both are supposed to be very good also.)

Just my experience though
rich

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »
One of my favourite board bow materials is maple.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:19:05 am »
I made several out of boards I got from homedepot i got the select maple but it seems to be hard maple all are good shooters but one and that was my fault. pulled too long with my long arms. all were about 45#-50# and shot sweet the last one i made for hunting is only 45#@ 29"  and really quite bow for a long string and stick. 72" ntn and a 6 inch brace height. and i have taken 2 does with it this year. so it will work great as a bow wood.
doc