Author Topic: arrow wood for a 50 pound  (Read 2260 times)

paganwannbe

arrow wood for a 50 pound
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:22:08 pm »
I would like to know what type of wood I should use for a bow made of red oak that will hopefully pull 45 to 50 pounds cause I have seen different type of wood used but the main thing I'm looking for is one that has consistence and is easy to work with.
in advance  thank you for all your help
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:25:44 pm by paganwannbe »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: arrow wood for a 50 pound
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »
Are you target shooting or hunting? If you are target shooting you don't need heavy arrows, if you are hunting I would recommend something a little heavier. For target shooting I would order a set of spine matched port orford or sitka spruce shafts. You can usually get them withing a couple of pounds of spine and a few grains of weight.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

paganwannbe

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »
well that all depends on how old you have to be to hunt and if my parents will let me so I'm probably going to be target shooting at first. So I guess I will go with port orford or sitka spruce you are talking about

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:44 am »
What Justin said,I don't know how old you are but if you can pull a 50lb. bow I bet you are old enough, now the parent thing is something else altogether.  :)  :) Need to keep them happy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

paganwannbe

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »
Well I'm not 18 yet a few years younger I don't want exactly to say online cause even paranoids have enemy's and I'm a Tad bit paranoid about that no offense to you guy but you have to do what you have to do
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:13:28 pm by paganwannbe »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:33:39 pm »
Go online to the Game and Parks department for the state you live in. It will give you the information about legal hunting ages (varies from state to state) and if there are any education requirements. Nebraska requires everyone born after 1971 (I think) to have taken a certified bowhunter education class. Colorado also requires hunter education. Might be a way to get a parient involved with you in archery.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

paganwannbe

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »
yeah I don't think I can go hunting anytime soon I will have to wait thank you guys for everything.