Author Topic: Tiller help  (Read 2080 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Tiller help
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:41 pm »
I could use a few fresh eyes on this osage tiller.  I am trying my best to get this bow to a shootable condition by this Saturday so I can take it to the Farmland traditional shoot in IN.  I have tried using the tillering gizmo, but this stave has some knots and dips, so it didn't help that much.  I have it braced to around 3 or 4 inches, and it is pulling 55# at 23".  I would like for it to end up 55# at 27", so I have a little room to work with.  The limbs are equal length.  Thanks for the help.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:54:11 pm »
Get both bending more from the first blue line back to the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:58:05 pm »
So I should thin out the fades a little?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »
Make each limb bend a little between the fades and the first blue line.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:47:00 am »
Looks pretty good,looks like it has a little natural deflex in the handle,so I can't tell weather it is moving at the fads or not,looks a little stiff about mid lime on the right.The left looks pretty good.
Take a little off there and the fads ,just a little and move on out another inch. Looking pretty sweet so far. Show a picture of it un braced if you can.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:05:50 am »
Thanks for the help.  It does have some natural deflex to it.  I won't be able to post the unbraced picture until Thursday evening.  Hopefully I will have the tiller figured out by then.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »
I think I would work on the left fade and the right mid limb, but just ever so slightly. Looks pretty good though.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »
I did some more scraping around the fades and made a proper string for it.  How does it look now?

Braced.

Full draw.  It is not centered with the blue lines, so the limbs aren't even with them.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »
That really looks good. You may want to scrape just a bit off the fade on the left limb just to get the limbs to match.  I like to do that as much as possible though the presence of knots and other imperfections may prevent that. I'm nitpicking just to make a point. The tiller is excellent as is. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!