Author Topic: need info on building arrows  (Read 5071 times)

Offline larze_fat

need info on building arrows
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:25:59 pm »
I just finished my first primitive bow and I would like to make some arrows to go along with it... the only problem is that I know absolutely nothing about arrow making. A step by step process would be really helpful, I'm sorry for the dumb newbie questions in advance. I can get cedar planks, but I don't how what kind of cedar it is if that makes a difference. I can also buy some dowels mostly hard wood though. Thanks for the help.

Offline DanaM

Re: need info on building arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
Start reading thru the threads on here and check the how-to/build along section
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »
Where do you live? There may be someone more experienced close to you that you could hook up with.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:53 pm »
Good idea cacath  I also would check out any books u might have TBB internet has tons of pics or youtube type in make a primitive arrow.  Also check around streams or rivers for cane growing its tall and straight and then ur half done.  Last bit of info as Dana mentioned got to build alongs on this forum!

Cheers
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:10 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:28 pm »
Where do you live? There may be someone more experienced close to you that you could hook up with.

I didn't think of that, I live in central Minnesota around Sauk Centre. I s any ne around me?

Jake Levi

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:18:03 pm »

Do you want to start with natural shafts, or slabs ?

TBBs have excellent chapters on making all styles, Jay Massey's article on making arrows from slabs of wood is the best I have read anywhere on that, Jim Hamm has excellent chapters in TBB and his Indian Archery books on making arrows from shafts, reeds etc,

Jawges website has some excellent info, also check the archives here.

Lots of info around, of many different ways to make them from different materials.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:18 pm »
 Between Georges site and this Thread you have a ton of information. And, it's FREE! ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »
does it matter what kind of cedar I use?

Offline Jay

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:26:37 am »
I've used 3/8" oak shafts from home-despot. they are a bit heavy but cheep  :) Y have to look for a while to find straight ones.

have fun!!
Jay

Offline karrow

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:25:06 pm »
veritas tools has a dowle maker just for arrow shafts works great turns any square stock round n a snap. i buy oak boards from the local hardware store and rip them into 1/2 x 1/2 squares and run them threw the dowel  maker alittle sanding and your shaft is complete. you tube has tons of vids on arrows and arrow making. arrow making is very enjoyable and a good skill to learn if your shooting traditional equip. 

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 11:31:10 am »
I've been using 5/16 dowels from Menards, and they work great. I'm in saint paul, I don't know if you have a menards up there, but maybe also at a home depot or maybe a mills fleet farm if they're near ya?

Give me a holler if you ever make it into saint paul, and we'll hook up and talk.

Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 11:55:16 am »
larze your in sauk, ork is pigs eye,hmm imagine that im right in the middle of the two of ya.
im in st cloud.i have never made arrows other than the primitive way
i use dried osier or cane(when i can get it)
i could help showing how i do that ifn ya want.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
hey what do you know! I'm actually going to be living in Sartell ( I have know idea how to spell it) next year. How about you Pm me and we can talk more about it?