Author Topic: Tempering  (Read 1599 times)

Offline chuckp

Tempering
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
Can tempering the belly with a heat gun be repeated without any bad effects?  Sometimes heat treating steel a number of times kills it. I was wondering if wood (Hickory in this case) has these characteristics.
The tempering would be to reduce string follow.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Tempering
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »
I have retempered hickory before... The first pass was right after first brace and the second was after tillering and shooting in... It held up just fine and I really scorched it the second time...  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:39:55 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

Re: Tempering
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:48 am »
I've heated up to 3 times after reading some other advice.  Inducing reflex after floor tiller I give it the hardest treatment, then at mid-tiller, and a lighter treatment just before finish.  Using hickory, I like this method, but I don't heat treat all woods I've used.
Let it set still for a day before stringing  and flexing again, I think that flexing too soon after heat is more likely to cause chrysals, with the wood being less hydrated. 
You can heat treat to basically a blackened state but don't char the wood.  When I first started I wasn't treating it near enough.

Good luck!
1’—>1’